Discuss Under cabinet recessed lighting cable needs extending in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Anotherid

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all! I have these two under cabinet recessed light fittings that connect to a single switch. I also need to add a lining to the underside of the cabinets, so will end up lowering the lights a bit. However, their cables are currently at their max length so I need to extend/ splice the cables. What’s the best way to go about this/ what materials and cables do I need? I feel like this is potentially too small a job to go to a professional electrician for so would like to attempt this myself.

Any advice is really appreciated!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Are you american? asking because of materials and wire gauges.

Easiest way of doing it is using wire nuts, also known as caps or twist-on connectors. Take the switch out and find the wires going to the lights and use nuts and 14AWG wire to extend them back to the switch. You could use thinner wiring but that seems to be the standard for lighting over there so keep it that way.

Or -this would be the proper way- you could disassemble the fittings and replace the whole runs so that there aren't any splices betwixt switch and lights.

Are you american? asking because of materials and wire gauges.

Easiest way of doing it is using wire nuts, also known as caps or twist-on connectors. Take the switch out and find the wires going to the lights and use nuts and 14AWG wire to extend them back to the switch. You could use thinner wiring but that seems to be the standard for lighting over there so keep it that way.

Or -this would be the proper way- you could disassemble the fittings and replace the whole runs so that there aren't any splices betwixt switch and lights.
I’m in the UK if that helps! Using twist on connectors certainly seems a lot simpler than soldering and all that jazz…

We don’t tend to use wire nuts in the UK. Any joints must be contained within an enclosure.

You can get WAGO connectors and suitable boxes from places like Screwfix or electrical wholesalers.

That looks like a low voltage fitting. Do you know what bulb is inside? It could be a G4 capsule 12 volt bulb, in which case there is a transformer lurking up there somewhere! If you don't know what bulb, I suggest you lever off the lens to have a look!

It would be sensible to know if you are going to be joining low voltage wires or mains voltage wires before you start.

The fitting & wiring look typical of 12V from a transformer to G4 capsule lamp. Assuming you can't locate the transfomer & feed some slack cable through, cut off the cables, fit Wago lever connectors, leaving enough on each end of the cable to make a join.

That said, assuming halogen lamps fitted, they tend not to be too reliable, and I'd investigate changing to 12V LED fittings - you can get similar ones that fit the existing holes, but likely you'd also need to change the transformer(s). There are also LED mains voltage fittings available, but the wiring doesn't appear suitable for 230V.

It looks easy enough to run new cables if that’s the switch for it at the right hand end.

The fitting & wiring look typical of 12V from a transformer to G4 capsule lamp. Assuming you can't locate the transfomer & feed some slack cable through, cut off the cables, fit Wago lever connectors, leaving enough on each end of the cable to make a join.

That said, assuming halogen lamps fitted, they tend not to be too reliable, and I'd investigate changing to 12V LED fittings - you can get similar ones that fit the existing holes, but likely you'd also need to change the transformer(s). There are also LED mains voltage fittings available, but the wiring doesn't appear suitable for 230V.
Not at home atm but from what I remember, the bulbs are G4 halogen, there’s a transformer under the desk which is this:

And yes the switch in the background in the photo is for these two lights. Sounds sensible to change these to LEDs but I think in the short term I’d like to make use of what’s there until I’m a bit more confident with wiring etc.

Thanks for all the advice so far! I’ve managed to find wago connectors / boxes but I guess I need to find the right wires to extend it!

Given lamps are 12V probably 20W max. the current will be just under 2 amps, so for a short run 0.5 or preferably 0.75 mm2 2 core flex would be fine.

Reply to Under cabinet recessed lighting cable needs extending in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net