Discuss Underfloor cables under a underfloor heating system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Fc6090

Hi,

I am considering having a underfloor heating system in my kitchen. (Electrical mat system)
my questions relates to whether i can also run some cables e.g. Rings mains under this system so I can have a central cabinet unit that has power to it in the middle of the room.

I am concerned whether the cables would get too hot.

what are the rules regarding this matter.

Thanks to anyone who can give any guidance.

Cheers fc6090

Welcome to the forum :), as you have no Electrical experience I will notify admin' to assign you with a DIY tag, this allows members to know your level and tailor there responses.

I would strongly advise you not to run cables directly under a heat mat. Sounds like you are doing a complete kitchen refit- what other changes do you have in mind?

Yes complete refit. I a blg company will do the work - can they install the cables so long as the under floor heating mats skirts around the cables or is there a min distance it needs to be away from heating mat? Thanks again.

What type of sub floor is it? If it's solid I would chase the floor and install the cables in conduit then fill in the chase, then install heat mat as normal.

Yes complete refit. I a blg company will do the work - can they install the cables so long as the under floor heating mats skirts around the cables or is there a min distance it needs to be away from heating mat? Thanks again.

Surely you should be questioning the spark doing the work. Make sure you get their details before they start

When it's underway if you have 10 posts you can upload pictures.

It would be far better to install a wet underfloor heating system, they are far less likely to go wrong than electric.
Cables will need to be protected from the heat, which may include careful consideration of the routes and inclusion of the correct de-rating factor in the cable size calculation.

Unless the heat mat is being planted on a decent thickness insulation board, it will be virtually useless as well as very expensive to run.
Any electrical cabling under such a floor should be installed in galv conduit, covered with screed, and then the insulation boards, with the mat on top. You will then have no problems of the two affecting each other.

Reply to Underfloor cables under a underfloor heating system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net