Discuss Unskilled labour working on mains electricity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Topboy

-
Reaction score
Morning All.
I wonder if i can ask for an opinion on an issue please.I work in a maintenance position for a fairly large global company who have site in the UK.I became aware that our management have been using our in house data engineers to carry out electrical installations on some of these sites and there have been a couple of incidents albeit no one injured.
There is some refurb work due on the site where i am based and the other two electricians have been asked to isolate a dado trunking containing ring mains allowing sockets to be moved then re-instate the circuits.They have both refused.This is likely to get heated as the management have no respect fot H&S and only worry about cost.
I would appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks in advance

No slavery ,i mean safely do you company tell the sparks do a risk assessment before hand .
Tell/Ask the Management to out these instructions in writing, issue a standing instruction, A safe system of work, a permit to work signed by an Authorising Engineer, stand back and watch the colour drain from their faces, and a long line at the WC, see how many managers take sick leave.

If you find out who the Employer's Liability insurance is with, you could let them know anonymously via a letter. I would send a copy to the Director at your employers with responsibility for Health & Safety. If you don't know who this is, don't ask, just sent the letter to the Chief Operating Officer or HR Director. Once they have been told about this, they will be in hot water if there is an incident later. The insurance company should also investigate the report and this will make a cover-up harder to achieve. Don't make to much fuss about this at work if you want to do this anonymously as someone may suspect you.

An alternative approach would be for the electricians to raise a grievance at work, as it is inappropriate to ask people to do work that is beyond their competency.

There is some refurb work due on the site where i am based and the other two electricians have been asked to isolate a dado trunking containing ring mains allowing sockets to be moved then re-instate the circuits.They have both refused.

I'm clearly missing something here. Why can't they?

I'm clearly missing something here. Why can't they?
maybe it's a bollox, and the sparks don't want to get involved with tight-arsed management no pay to do right.

Speak to your local HSE office and report the matter under whistleblowing protection. HSE will need to take your name and address but will NOT disclose this to your employer.
Should your employer single anyone out, then you are protected under the whistleblowers arrangements.
I have done this myself in the past and can confirm you will be OK
Here is a link to the HSE guidance..
Whistleblowers - Contact HSE - http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/whistleblowers.htm
You will find the HSE will be fine with you and there is no need to worry.

As an afterthought this might be a good time to join appropriate TU. Whilst they may not have negotiating rights, they will support and represent you, and you will also benefit in some cases from free legal protection and discounts in shops.

If sufficient numbers join then Management has to officially recognise then Union.
By the way when HSE come calling, they will want to speak to a representative of the staff confidentially before carrying out an inspection. This is the normal practice in any HSE attendance which is almost without exception unannounced, e.g. no prior warning is given, they just arrive. The representative CANNOT be a supervisor or Manager, but should be a representative from the work force. It may well be worth agreeing in advance who will do this. Also confidentially you should be able to collate details of where and when work done. HSE will find something to enable them to investigate further and deeper.

Finally the workers representative will be included in the Inspection team by the Inspector and will be given their own letter setting out what was found wrong and the arrangements for remediation.

It is an offence for anyone, and that especially includes Company officials, to obstruct a HSE Inspector, and by Law anyone asked MUST supply an answer to each question raised.

The Inspector will NOT be looking to take any action against the staff for anything they may have done wrong so everyone can be completely truthful, even if you think you may have broken the Law. HSE is on your side.

Reply to Unskilled labour working on mains electricity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock