Discuss Unusual predicament testing 17th Edt install in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thought Part P was introduced to stop unqualified builders doing their own electrics. Yeh seems to be working well. :rolleyes:

Hello folks got a quick couple of questions regarding some testing i have recently undertaken.

Im doing an EICR for a friend on a couple of new build flats where the electrics were done by an unqualified builder.

If the install should be done to current regs are things like missing earths at pendants/switchs or no fan isolators a c2 or c3.

Sense tells me a c3 (with a note on the board about no metal light switchs or fiitings) but its a new build where everything should be done to current regs so does that make it a c2?

Theres no chance of connecting the earths as they are burried in a JB somewhere unreachable.

So basically my question is.....if an installation has been completed to the 17th edition when doing an eicr does the install have to meet all the current regs to get a satisfactory result or is it inspected/tested upon its actual condition?

FYI there are numerous small issues that dont really warrant a C2 but at the same time are certainly not up to current regs.

Shouldnt be doing this after the pub, sorry guys :(

I'm sorry mate, but if you think a brand new install, with no continuity on the CPC for a lighting circuit it a C3 you shouldn't be doing EICR's.

Simple answer is code up the C2's & C3's - issue unsatisfactory report with your invoice and walk away.

An EICR is not for new installs, read the regulations they are quite clear about that!

If you did not carry out the work and are only carrying out the testing then you use a full EIC which has seperate places for designer, constructor and tester to sign.
The person who installed it signs for their part of the work and you sign for your part.

However if you have been employed purely to make a list of what is wrong then that is exactly what you do. Go there with pen and paper and write down everything that is wrong, then type it up and submit it.

And as Trev has said, kick up as big a sh*t storm as you can about it!

An EICR is not for new installs, read the regulations they are quite clear about that!

If you did not carry out the work and are only carrying out the testing then you use a full EIC which has seperate places for designer, constructor and tester to sign.
The person who installed it signs for their part of the work and you sign for your part.

However if you have been employed purely to make a list of what is wrong then that is exactly what you do. Go there with pen and paper and write down everything that is wrong, then type it up and submit it.

could not have put it better than that.

Dave, you make an interesting point with which I agree; however in my experience ( more to do with rewires than new build) more often it is an EICR which is done because the "installer" is nowhere to be found. Typically the relevant council official will accept the EICR in lieu of the missing EIC - this because they too are interested primarily in safety. Of course, it also allows for Limitations which you can't have on an EIC.

Now that's an interesting concept for such an awful installation - I doubt very much that the muppet who did the work will willing give their details, nor sign for the design and construction!

Now that's an interesting concept for such an awful installation - I doubt very much that the muppet who did the work will willing give their details, nor sign for the design and construction!

Then there will be no valid EIC for the work and building control will have to take action!

Dave, you make an interesting point with which I agree; however in my experience ( more to do with rewires than new build) more often it is an EICR which is done because the "installer" is nowhere to be found. Typically the relevant council official will accept the EICR in lieu of the missing EIC - this because they too are interested primarily in safety. Of course, it also allows for Limitations which you can't have on an EIC.

The regulations do not, as far as I know, stipulate that a council bod can decide whether an EICR can replace an EIC or not.

I know what is usually done, and what people accept as the norm, but I am not a sheep who just follows the crowd without thinking.

This is the attitude which is destroying the trade as we have known it!

My LABC have very clearly laid their cards on the table with this - EIC's only, no reports, and when you are at the planning stage of the project you have to declare your electrical contractor.

The regulations do not, as far as I know, stipulate that a council bod can decide whether an EICR can replace an EIC or not.

I know what is usually done, and what people accept as the norm, but I am not a sheep who just follows the crowd without thinking.

This is the attitude which is destroying the trade as we have known it!

Its more about if Building Control will accept an EICR in lieu of an EIC, to then allow them to grant Building Warrant; they are not passing judgement on BS7671. I get your frustration over how the system works, but IMHO it's never going to go down the Gas Safe route (and even there, there's lots of poor practice/ non registered guys).

An electrician should not be issuing an EICR in lieu of an EIC!
We are the people with the skills and knowledge to decide what is right or wrong, LABC are not!

Reply to Unusual predicament testing 17th Edt install in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net