Currently reading:
Up front Rcd question

Discuss Up front Rcd question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dirk boddington

After talking to someone who's Rcd failed them recently during a regular test it got me thinking.

I have a TT system and regularly test my rcd however if it failed to operate during a phase to earth fault then there is no backup.

I considered upgrading the consumer unit and adding rcbos but that's well beyond my budget right now. (they may fit in mine now but it will be very tight)

My second thought was adding a rcd in line with my existing consumer unit to act as a backup. All of my circuits are fed from this single rcd at present as its not a split load unit.

I've spoke to several electricians about it and I've had varying answers so thought I would ask a wider audience.

Can this be done with 2 30ma rcd or would this create nuisance tripping or would one have to be a 100ma?

Put a 30mA 80/100 amp rcd between the tails from the meter to the fuseboard. This way if one fails the other one hopefully will trip. There should not be any discrimination between the two. Small housing with the rcd on, mount it between the meter and fuseboard and sleep well.

Reply to Up front Rcd question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back