Search the forum,

Discuss Upgrade of supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NEZ2490

Hi all you guys/gals out there was wondering if anyone could offer advice on the following:

I was recently asked to fill in an upgrade of supply form for a customer. A fabrication company. I went out to the premises and took some readings of their consumption. They have a 100 amp 3 phase supply at the moment with the standard cut out and meter set up they are using L1=42.5amp L2=90amp L3=92amp. They need to fit some new additional equipment. Am i right in thinking to go above this size of supply would involve fitting an ISU and CT metering ? also i was asked on the form about information for welding equipment which they have 7 of it asked for Pulses per minute any advice would be appreiciated.

Regards Richard

Firstly, you need to work out if you can balance the phases and get the readings a little lower by splitting some of the loads. this should lower the load a little. Secondly automated welding equipment such as auto welders and spot welders have a cycle rate or impulse per minute add them up and ask the supply authority for some advice as these can cause problems on the network via spiking and DC transient voltages. If the welders are continual feeds or manual sets you will need advice from the supply network again on these issues. Thirdly calculate the additional load required by the new machinery and make an allowance for further upgrades, add this to existing load and size the new distribution equipment and supply accordingly. Consider installing some form of power factor correction equipment if not already fitted and try to balance the loads across all phases as best you can. Carefully consider your new earthing requirements and size accordingly. Allow for lots of time for network guys to process the application as they can be very busy :) Be prepared for a highly variable price depending on location of sub stations, local distribution cable sizes and existing loads and the amount of road permits the supply authority may need to complete the works. They may come back and say it is not possible at the present moment to upgrade the supply, in twenty years this has happened to me twice (Both in rural locations)

Hope this helps

Firstly, you need to work out if you can balance the phases and get the readings a little lower by splitting some of the loads. this should lower the load a little. Secondly automated welding equipment such as auto welders and spot welders have a cycle rate or impulse per minute add them up and ask the supply authority for some advice as these can cause problems on the network via spiking and DC transient voltages. If the welders are continual feeds or manual sets you will need advice from the supply network again on these issues. Thirdly calculate the additional load required by the new machinery and make an allowance for further upgrades, add this to existing load and size the new distribution equipment and supply accordingly. Consider installing some form of power factor correction equipment if not already fitted and try to balance the loads across all phases as best you can. Carefully consider your new earthing requirements and size accordingly. Allow for lots of time for network guys to process the application as they can be very busy :) Be prepared for a highly variable price depending on location of sub stations, local distribution cable sizes and existing loads and the amount of road permits the supply authority may need to complete the works. They may come back and say it is not possible at the present moment to upgrade the supply, in twenty years this has happened to me twice (Both in rural locations)

Hope this helps

Thank you for your help i've worked on many an industrial supply install and connection and i'm sure you'll agree it's a pain getting the tails to fit onto the delicate plastic held bolts inside the ISU once saw a yedl guy snap the bolt clean off. Guy was not happy.

Again thanks for the help not had much to do with the ordering of the supply and the paper work :D

Reply to Upgrade of supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock