Discuss Urgent Advice Required Please Regarding Electric Meter in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BGFORS

Hi All, I am looking for someone to tell me the regulations regarding siting of my electric meter, long story short I'm getting a new kitchen installed and installer didn't contact my supplier soon enough to get the meter re sited but still continued with installation and the meter now looks like this
014.jpg013.jpg015.jpg

It is just hanging on old piece of stud wall with tails just lying on floor could someone please tell me if this is legal in a so called working kitchen??

Many thanks in advance
B

Hi All, I am looking for someone to tell me the regulations regarding siting of my electric meter, long story short I'm getting a new kitchen installed and installer didn't contact my supplier soon enough to get the meter re sited but still continued with installation and the meter now looks like this
View attachment 29704View attachment 29705View attachment 29706

It is just hanging on old piece of stud wall with tails just lying on floor could someone please tell me if this is legal in a so called working kitchen??

Many thanks in advance
B

why don't you make the phone call to get it moved?

The stud wall needs to be supported otherwise it is putting strain on the incoming cable.
Even as a temporary measure it is a mess but he does have a legal basis for not touching the meter, but has no call to be leaving it in that state.

The move is happening at the end of the month I am more worried about the time until then all I need to know is it legal the way the installers left it as they have been man handling it with whatever spare incoming cable there is. I just want to know is this safe as I am worried for my families safety. Can anyone give me some advice please?

It is not illegal to have been left like that.
It has not been left in a good way and should be supported.
I would recommend placing a guard around it as well to prevent inadvertent movement of the cable.
There is no particular electric shock risk with that arrangement so long as the incoming cable has not been damaged.

I was just thinking is it TNS with a lead pipe, just picturing it bending and going bang!

I don't know what TNS is? as for being supported I'm not sure you can tell from my photos but it is not screwed to anything I mean it would fall over if you pushed it or it got knocked just worried about my families safety and don't fancy it staying like that for another 2 weeks until it is moved.

Typical for cowboy builder work.
May be not illegal but is not safe at all. Sort it out ASAP before something nasty happens.

Many thanks for the advice everyone I am going to contact my supplier in morning and inform them of the situation, one of their guys was already at house earlier in week with builder surveying for the meter move you would have thought he would have said something to them as he was definitely at the meter connecting some leads for some kind of tone generator for his cable scanner.

Reply to Urgent Advice Required Please Regarding Electric Meter in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net