Discuss Useful notes for testing electrical installations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi bud,i suppose there is no harm in listing abbreviated methods and sequences,but the most useful things to remember,are of a more general nature.
Like,to be fully conversant with the range of settings on any test equipment,and not to be immediately accepting,of results.

If it is tips to increase the speed of any tests,i am not the man to advise. Any testing and inspection,i have ever done,has taken as long as is necessary,with no exception.

I think beyond the obvious books, GN3 etc. there is no set way of approaching testing. Very broadly I would seek to establish the earthing arrangements first, while checking out the supply (cut-out, tails and so on) and effectiveness (continuity and ohms 0.05) and what was needed before delving in further as it is generally the most accessible area as well as one of the more fundamental requirements for all circuits. As no proper earthing = pointless doing any other tests.
I get a feel for existing circuits by doing the more accessible tests such as Zs on sockets, and anything else I can easily get to.
Although while I am doing this (eyes like a sewer rat) inspecting fittings, locations, damage, security (SADCOWS) and so on.
Having got a sense of there is nothing glaringly wrong I am then prepared to go in deeper with dead tests and so on.
Each installation is so different one can only roughly go through tests in the CRIPLER "system" if you like. It is usually the case that you approach each installation as what presents as the most urgent/dangerous or not as the case may be. To write a list etc. is re-inventing the wheel imo.

...Poor OP...he comes on for fire-fighting help...and you lot pass him a Peter Griffin novelty fire-extinguisher,filled with confetti ;)

Your all mad, Its the sheet floating about with all the the resistance readings of cables and protective device bs numbers and disconnection times etc

Did anyone produce new useful notes for form filling

I think the original form is still this one but obviously the Zs values are now incorrect following the introduction of Cmin.
However all the rest is still accurate.
You can also get various lists of Zs numbers that are current for taking into account Cmin.
and perhaps some BS numbers for reference.

You must surely know we are all mad by now!

Attachments

• Useful Information for Electrical Form filling to BS7671.pdf
    412.3 KB · Views: 100
  • ZS chart_090315_final napit.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • British standard numbers reference list for electrical.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 86

Reply to Useful notes for testing electrical installations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net