Discuss Using a jumper wire as light switch ground wire... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oyarsa

DIY
Reaction score
I had an Intermatic timer light switch that seemed to stop turning on and off automatically. I bought a Defiant replacement.

The old switch had wires coming from it which were attached to the corresponding wires from the wall. The new switch did not come with any wires aside from two jumper wires. I connected all the appropriate wires from the wall to the switch easily, but the ground wire from the wall terminated in a screw cap with several other ground wires, and so I didn't have a wire to connect from the ground on the switch to the other ground wires.

Being white, I used one of the jumper wires to connect from the light switch to the screw cap the old ground wire was connected to. Everything works fine, but in hindsight, I'm not sure if this is appropriate. Should I go buy some more appropriate wire?

TL;DR
Used a jumper wire to connect ground from light switch to other ground wires. Is this ok?
Can you show a picture.

In UK, it would have to be green/yellow but I’m not sure about the American codes On this. Another one for @Megawatt i think.

I can possibly tonight.

Thanks.

Sorry to take so long to post the pictures. I'm glad you asked, because I misspoke. It wasn't the ground wire that I used the jumper for. It was the neutral wire. So now the question is whether the jumper wire can be used as a neutral wire.

Hopefully these pictures aren't too large to post.

It is in the neutral at the switch so should be fine.

That looks a little "busy" in that box for a 2G switch!
Isn't there any issue with that bare ground wire folding against things it shouldn't when it's all pushed back into the box?

That looks a little "busy" in that box for a 2G switch!
Isn't there any issue with that bare ground wire folding against things it shouldn't when it's all pushed back into the box?
I'm curious now, too. I certainly wasn't cautious when I pushed things back in. What should I be worried about it folding up against?

Just make sure it is away from the switch terminal screws.

This is normal US practice. I don't get it either, what with the exposed binding screws on the side, but they're not into sleeving.

Reactions: DPG
Again, me neither, but I try to avoid confusing US posters with suggestions that their materials and methods are no good ;)

I had an Intermatic timer light switch that seemed to stop turning on and off automatically. I bought a Defiant replacement.

The old switch had wires coming from it which were attached to the corresponding wires from the wall. The new switch did not come with any wires aside from two jumper wires. I connected all the appropriate wires from the wall to the switch easily, but the ground wire from the wall terminated in a screw cap with several other ground wires, and so I didn't have a wire to connect from the ground on the switch to the other ground wires.

Being white, I used one of the jumper wires to connect from the light switch to the screw cap the old ground wire was connected to. Everything works fine, but in hindsight, I'm not sure if this is appropriate. Should I go buy some more appropriate wire?
Yes you are fine if you used white and it should be mark with green tape and if it’s terminated in the wire nut with the other grounds

Yes you are fine if you used white and it should be mark with green tape and if it’s terminated in the wire nut with the other grounds
Again guys from the start I have never agreed with the bare naked ground and yes it can be a big hazard and it’s happened to me. What I do now is I tuck the grounds into the very back of the box and not CRAMING wires into boxes. I also agree with @Lucien on the screws being on the side. What can I say we are behind the times on electrical safety.

Reply to Using a jumper wire as light switch ground wire... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock