Discuss Using an estate car for work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thinking of changing to a estate car instead of van as van costs are quite high. Is anyone else doing this? What recommendations for a car?
I've seen a few pickups used as work vehicles with a hard top (can't recall the proper name) over the tailgate bed.

I've also seen a few old AA pickups used in a similar fashion.
As much as I hate most social platforms Pinterest and Instagram may be a good hunting ground for ideas.

I used a Ford Mondeo Estate for about 7 years , enough boot space for tools / power tools , a couple stacker organisers and a few drums of cable etc. Roof bars to strap long ladders to.
My dad had a van which was full of junk accumulated over the years , where as I travelled light and only carried what I needed for that weeks jobs. With a screwfix or toolstation in literally every town these days you simply don't need a big van lugging tonnes of carp about anymore

You'll need suitable insurance for using the car for Business.
Normal car insurance usually covers for Commuting, to work and also sometimes travel between work related sites but not full business use.
You may also need cover for carrying goods.

class 1 business use required. usuallyno extra cost. carrying goodsis "carrying goods for hire or reward" so that does not apply.

You'll need suitable insurance for using the car for Business.
Normal car insurance usually covers for Commuting, to work and also sometimes travel between work related sites but not full business use.
You may also need cover for carrying goods.
He wont be able to claim as much tax either as using a van

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. At the moment I have a van and car. The van used mostly with the occasional use of the car if traveling into london. But at the moment I am using the car more, as I am finding it more economical to run as I do site work, and the van is on the drive. So got 2 insurances, mots, road tax, double petrol/ diesel. The car is really too small and I can only carry around necessary tools, but it is manageable. So was thinking of chipping them in to get an estate So I have a bigger boot with ladders ect. On roof. Thought of a car as I feel it will be more economical to run and only 1 vehicle, so 1 insurance, mot, road tax ect. Or would you guys think a little van be better? For example a cintoen nemo or similar? Just trying to reduce costs at the moment.
Thanks in advance.

I use an MPV - Renault Grand Scenic - Petrol - and have for the last 10 years (not the same one all that time!).

It was a case of either buy a small van and run two mediocre vehicles, or buy a reasonable spec MPV for both private and work use. Finanically, I just bill my company 45p/mile used for work (HMRC rate, not increased in the 10 years).

I keep some stuff (low value tools, some materials) in the covered section behind the middle seats (rarely need the 3rd row seats), and load anything else as/required for the day. It costs me a few minutes each morning/evening to load/unload, but I'm backed onto the garage, and not a big deal.

I can fit small 3-step ladder across in the back section. Larger ladders go on the roof bars as/when needed.

Obviously the MPV has to be insured for business use.

I used to worry it looked less professional, but if asked I explain it saves my van being done over, and as most of my work now is by recommendation, not an issue.

I thought I'd try it and see, and it has worked for me so never changed.

@SJD To be honest that is what I do, charge 40p a mile. But as I had a van I was sent to do material runs, not just electrical but for the plumbers, builders and in general. And the 40p just wasn't covering the mileage, let alone the wear and tear of the van so started to use the car as petrol is a bit cheaper, and less running around done as well due to the lack of room. But it would be nice to have a bit more room, and reduce the cost of running 2 vehicles, as the van now sits on the drive. So thought of an estate, as most have a boot cover to cover the tools, and you can film out the back windows for more security.

If you're looking at doing private work, get a cheaper van. It looks well unprofessional imo to see someone jumping out of a run-around car.

If you're looking at site work you can get away with a Smart ForTwo.

If you're looking at doing private work, get a cheaper van. It looks well unprofessional imo to see someone jumping out of a run-around car.

I honestly never had an issue doing private work from my old Mondeo

IMO when you get someone climbing out of relatively new fancy signwritten van walking into the wholesalers without a bobbies clue what materials they need to do the job that they have just convinced the customer they can do that is the height of unprofessional
It doesn't matter to me what I or someone else turns up to site driving I prefer to let my workmanship on the job do the talking like most tradesman should

Funnily enough I have sold my Mercedes vito high top and gone over to Vauxhall Zafira estateish car. Works well for me. Seats slide easily forward. I do miss the van though. The Zafira serves for the family (6) as a seven seater on occasions which the van could not. As I am semi-retired and mostly do second fix, I&T I don't carry much. All the grunt work is done by the builders with the big tools. So I can travel light now and It is over all better. Roof rack for ladders on occasion. It does make sense for me. I had been looking for a seven seater for a couple of years. I plumped for the Zafira because you can get them pretty cheap. They are a German make car. 2.5k for 13 reg! I personally don't go for anything but German or Asian make cars as they are by renown reliable as far as cars can be, and you don't (usually) see car dealers driving anything else.

Last edited:
I honestly never had an issue doing private work from my old Mondeo
Depends what sort of business you're running ie one man band vs something you're gonna want logo'd up etc. Just my opinion.

I had a MK3 Mondeo estate that i worked out of for years too, best car i've ever had. 2.0 litre turbo diesel doing 600 miles a tank. Lovely car, was gutted to see it go.

Depends what sort of business you're running ie one man band vs something you're gonna want logo'd up etc. Just my opinion.

I had a MK3 Mondeo estate that i worked out of for years too, best car i've ever had. 2.0 litre turbo diesel doing 600 miles a tank. Lovely car, was gutted to see it go.

The Mondeo was great car , I did over 120,000 miles in mine and it never missed a beat. I didn't spend a penny on it other than the usual stuff like tyres and brake pads etc.
Only sold it when my dad retired and he gave me his van

I changed my mind on signwritten vehicles back in the mid 80's when I picked up some work and the customer insisted we used hire vehicles so as not to disclose what we were doing, it came at a time when as a fairly new company we had paid to have the new van we had just purchased signwritten we cancelled the order and never had any of our vehicles signwritten in 25 years of trading

Vans IMO are a magnet for theft either the whole vehicle or it's contents and how do you replace some of those tools that you have had for 40 or more years

I changed my mind on signwritten vehicles back in the mid 80's when I picked up some work and the customer insisted we used hire vehicles so as not to disclose what we were doing, it came at a time when as a fairly new company we had paid to have the new van we had just purchased signwritten we cancelled the order and never had any of our vehicles signwritten in 25 years of trading

Vans IMO are a magnet for theft either the whole vehicle or it's contents and how do you replace some of those tools that you have had for 40 or more years
While a tradie getting out of a car vs a van can give a perceived negative effect on thier ability (I'm guilty of this when the house EICR was due and the guy came in a car and my instant reaction was defensive, I was right but still), if they turn up in a well presented uniform, take the time to educate the client and tidy up after themselves, that will leave a more lasting impression than a sign written vehicle.

While it can be an instant red flag; those that are good will often take the time to put thr customer at ease and address the lack of van

Reply to Using an estate car for work in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net