Discuss vauxhall astra h problem after installing reverse camera in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Vauxhall Astra h and have fitted an android stereo as per the included instructions and videos. its specially made for my model and pretty much just plugs straight in place of the old one. I purchased the correct reverse camera for this stereo and fitted it as per instructions. one wire goes to ground, one wire to the stereo feed and power wire spliced in to the reverse lights so it only gets power when in reverse. it works fine but within a week I was getting messages on my stereo head unit at top. this is the unit that gives miles per gallon and temperature etc. it would give me messages like coolant level, fog light, reverse light etc even though there was nothing wrong with any of them. then I turn car on one day and the display is blank there, the stereo controls on steering wheel have stopped working and the side lights on the stereo buttons are not lighting up when car lights come on ? the stereo still works fine and the touch screen works fine just those other controls have stopped. I first though maybe a fuse so I checked all fuses in both fuse boxes and nothing. the fuse on back of stereo is fine. what could of happened ? do you think this is linked to reverse camera installation or that just coincidence ? I have disconnected power to reverse camera just in case it was giving some kind of feed back but I doubt it as this stereo was made and tested for this specific car and all connected as per instructions and had worked fine for nearly a year

Hi Steven.

Can you please re write your post with paragraphs and a little more punctuation? Currently it is a bit much to take in mate.

Have you got a steering wheel adaptor of some kind to get steering wheel controls?

It might be worth removing everything that is aftermarket and putting the original head unit back in if possible.

I believe all of those things are controlled by can bus signals, sounds like you may have an issue with this.

Connecting to the reversing feed may upset the filament monitoring circuit for the reversing light, but it shouldn't affect the actual CAN bus.

the android unit did come with a can bus decoder or whatever you would call it that connects to allow the communication for the steering controls etc. have disconnected and removed everything but still no joy upper display unit still blank and loading assist button in boot still doesn't work. there must be something that connects all these operations that has failed I just don't know what. I presume its something to do with the can bus

Have a look around online for some wiring diagrams. Basically the CAN Bus is just a data bus which links all the different modules in the car. I believe the higher spec Astra has a computer inn the back which does rear lights and probably the load assist. There is normally one somewhere up front that controls things at the front, One in each door for the windows and locking etc. I think the CAN bus also links to the radio to control the lights and give it speed info (if there is speed dependant volume) and tell it when to power on, and link to the steering controls. I think that's how it also links to the display in the dash but you would have to check wiring diagrams. It might be worth plugging it in to the Vauxhall diagnostic tool (used to be tech2 But I think it's been replaced on newer models) to see if it can access all the modules.

have plugged it in to opcom and go nice list of faults but most are not present they just intermittently came up presumable all linked to the can bus fault but this one is present and I presume this is the problem just not sure how to fix it

U2117-00 CAN – Bus No Communication with DIS (Display)

and heres all the intermittent ones most of which are no longer present all linked to same problem as I had scanned before and had no codes

U2117-00 <Unknown DTC>

B3109-00 <Unknown DTC>

B1011-00 Error Information Stored in CIM

B2535-00 Rear Fog Light Circuit Malfunction

B2545-00 Rear Left Reverse Light Circuit Malfunction

B2570-00 Trunk Lamp Circuit Malfunction

B3880-00 Rear Right Reverse Light Circuit Malfunction

U2117-00 CAN – Bus No Communication with DIS (Display)

P0500-71 Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

P0654-71 Engine Speed Signal Range/Performance

P0550-71 Mileage Circuit Range/Performance

P0460-71 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Range/Performance

P0115-71 Engine Coolant Temperature Signal Range/Performance

U2139-71 Invalid Signal from CIM (Steering Column Module)

best tool for all this electronic garbage in cars is this:

shopping

engine management, my arse. income for dealerships, more like. what's wrong with the right foot? all the engine management needed there.

Did you have to modify the loom at all to install the new head unit. It sounds like you have maybe damaged or disconnected something there, maybe it got disturbed then you were installing the reversing camera. There are CAN wires in the loom to the radio, which probably link on to the display, I would track those down and check they are all connected.

so checked the passenger and drivers footwell areas for fuses and there isn't any there. but wiring loom does seem to chase down left hand side plastic side cover going underneath the door I wonder if there is something behind that ?

so checked the passenger and drivers footwell areas for fuses and there isn't any there. but wiring loom does seem to chase down left hand side plastic side cover going underneath the door I wonder if there is something behind that ?

so have stripped out glove box and steering column covers exposing both sides of footwells and have disconnected and removed the android stereo. turn on ignition and still no display on head unit or any of the other controls lost like boot loading aid

right have removed steering column cover and footwell cover both passenger and drivers sides and removed glove box and can see no fuses in those areas. but the wring loom from the stereo does run down the left side of the passengers foot behind the cover that runs under the door. could there be fuses behind there ?

Reply to vauxhall astra h problem after installing reverse camera in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net