Discuss Voltage Drop Of DC Resistors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SparkSmog

Im currently doing a electrical course at college and im stupidly stuck on the most simple question. Due to my teacher not being the most approachable i thought id ask here for help, heres the question;

Voltage Drop Of DC Resistors {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=71997536ox1.jpg

Im asked to calculate the amps and the voltag drop of the circuit, am i right in thinking that the sum of all voltage drops is equal to the voltage applied to the circuit (V1+V2+V3 would equal 12volts)?

Any help is appreciated as ive done all my kirchoffs law and the effects of capacitors etc but the simplest one has completely confused me

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Im currently doing a electrical course at college and im stupidly stuck on the most simple question. Due to my teacher not being the most approachable i thought id ask here for help, heres the question;

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=71997536ox1.jpg

Im asked to calculate the amps and the voltag drop of the circuit, am i right in thinking that the sum of all voltage drops is equal to the voltage applied to the circuit (V1+V2+V3 would equal 12volts)?

Any help is appreciated as ive done all my kirchoffs law and the effects of capacitors etc but the simplest one has completely confused me

Thanks

can't click on to your link and i'm fuk'd if I'm gonna type all that in.

I understand that firstly you calculate I1 which is 12v/(15ohm+20ohm+10ohm)
v1 is then calculated by I1 x R1

V2 is then calculated by I1 x (20ohm+10ohm)????

I2 is then calculated by V2/R2??

I start to get myself a touch confused and start double guessing myself now....

Ignore this post - Im an idiot :D

Thinking about th simplest of questions far too much

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand that firstly you calculate I1 which is 12v/(15ohm+20ohm+10ohm)
v1 is then calculated by I1 x R1

V2 is then calculated by I1 x (20ohm+10ohm)????

I2 is then calculated by V2/R2??

I start to get myself a touch confused and start double guessing myself now....

Ignore this post - Im an idiot :D

Thinking about th simplest of questions far too much[/quote

I'll give you a clue.....Your current is the same throughout;)

Very simple question this guys!.. Lol - we all know its been a long time but come on..

To start with find find the total resistance. (R1 + R2 + R3) = 45 ohms
To find the circuit current (I1)
I1 = V/R = 12v / 45 ohms = 0.26A or 260mA
Once we have calculated the I1, we automatically know I2 and I3 because the current is the same throughout the circuit.
No we have got our current value, we need to find the voltage drop across each resister.
V1 = I x R = 0.26A x 15 ohms = 3.9V
V2 = I x R = 0.26A x 20 ohms = 5.2V
V3 = I x R = 0.26A x 10 ohms = 2.6V

The volt drop across each resistor, will all add upto the supply voltage (12v) or near enough...

Hope this helps..;)

Reply to Voltage Drop Of DC Resistors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock