Discuss Voltage drop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

aaelectric

Hi
i keep getting confused when trying to work out voltage drop please can some one point me in the right direction.
63amp boiler supply 25 meter run in plastic trunking fixed to wall. Will 16mm twin and earth be sufficent and can someone show the calculation cheers

agreed. give us your thoughts and we can the tell if you're doing it right. not much use having it on a plate.

Well you have used 60A as the design current and stated that it is a 63A boiler, but the 63A may just be the protective device and if the boiler is actually only taking 60A you should use that as the design current.

So based on your calculation using 60A as the actual usage from the boiler then you have correctly undertaken the calculation.
As you have stated the maximum volt drop for a power circuit is 5% of the supply voltage, assuming you have a supply of 230V (nominal) then the maximum volt drop permissible in the absence of any manufacturers instructions is (5%of 230V) 11.5V.
You calculated volt drop is 4.2V (1.826% of 230V) and so is well within the limits.

Good work.

S=(√I²t)/k
S is the csa of the earthing conductor/cpc that you need to find
I is the prospective fault current at that point in in the circuit (normally PSC for the installation)
t is the disconnection time for the protective device you are using at the fault current I, if this is a new installation and the device is a BSEN60898 MCB and the fault current is higher than the "instantaneous" trip time shown in appendix three of the BGB (5x the MCB rating for type B MCBs) then this value is 0.1s (though the actual trip time may be quicker)
k is the correction factor for the material of the conductor, since in domestic situations the conductor is invariably copper then you only need to consider if the conductor is enclose din a cable or not. If it is in a cable then the value of k is 115. If it is not in cable then the value of K is 143.
The csa of the earthing conductor in a TNCS system should be selected from table 54.8 as it is also a bonding conductor, the csa of a cpc that is not incorporated in cable and not mechanically protected must be at least 4mm².

The value S that is obtained is increased to the next available size of conductor, so if you get a value of 3.4 then the conductor would need to be 4mm² minimum.

Reply to Voltage drop in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock