Discuss Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
So I’ve managed to sell somethings and decided to buy a voltage tester and proving unit.

I’ve seen this on eBay:

Or would you just pay the extra and go for this or another brand? The one on eBay looks okay it’s just a worry. With it being testing equipment.

its all right as a starter kit at least you will have a proving unit the progress form there as you build you confidence and upgrade to a mft

both the socket &see and the martindale are good bits of kit, but personally i'd go for the Megger. or you could buy a Fluke and have it die and be recalled.

its all right as a starter kit at least you will have a proving unit the progress form there as you build you confidence and upgrade to a mft
Totally different pieces of equipment, one is for proving a circuit is dead, the other (MFT) is used for testing both live and dead installations, how can you upgrade to a MFT? when in reality if you are doing electrical installation work the MFT or other individual test equipment items is a must, in my opinion.

both the socket &see and the martindale are good bits of kit, but personally i'd go for the Megger. or you could buy a Fluke and have it die and be recalled.

That’s all I’m thinking is they are both £60. Or just pay the extra £50 and get the Megger. As both eBay items are no returns. They are probably okay, it’s just myself worrying that if they don’t work or develop a fault I can’t return them.

That’s all I’m thinking is they are both £60. Or just pay the extra £50 and get the Megger. As both eBay items are no returns. They are probably okay, it’s just myself worrying that if they don’t work or develop a fault I can’t return them.

As Spin says, the ebay listings have a best offer option, you could make a cheeky offer of £40 ?
Paypal and ebay both offer buyer protection schemes. If they are not as described you can get a refund.

I've got the Martindale jobbie. Very happy with it. Saved me a couple of times where our work permits have stated what I'm about to work on is isolated but turn out it isn't.

As Spin says, the ebay listings have a best offer option, you could make a cheeky offer of £40 ?
Paypal and ebay both offer buyer protection schemes. If they are not as described you can get a refund.

Declined my offer if £40. Went back with £50. That’s a good point. Suppose you could get eBay involved if there are issues. Both the Martindale and Socket and See look identical. Which is quite funny.

I’ve put and offer on the Martindale. Any idea on the best place for a case for either the Martindale or Megger please?
Or you could contact Either Martindale or Megger for a catalogue.

maybe a small camera bag that will also fit some other test gear, like a clamp meter ( earth leakage, maybe).

I got a couple of good quality padded camera-kit bags from the charity shop, a fiver each. 1 holds my multitool and impact driver and has numerous zipped compartments for drill bits, blades and other accessories. I actually went into the shop to drop off some stuff, and came out with the 2 bags, a lob wedge and a camera tripod...
The tripod was as new, and retails around £120, but it was priced at £19.99, so irresistible really. Of course it fits my cameras, but also useful for laser level!
The lob wedge was £5, and has improved my golf immeasurably...
by which I mean you couldn't measure any improvement at all...

I’m pretty certain some people were selling cases on eBay when I found that Martindale.

Though to be honest, this one might be better as it comes with voltage tester, proving unit and case:

I’m pretty certain some people were selling cases on eBay when I found that Martindale.

Though to be honest, this one might be better as it comes with voltage tester, proving unit and case:

Seems a lot for a case. Maybe it’s good quality. I’m unsure about buying used test equipment and it was open to offers but you would only save a fiver. There is a brand new socket and see on Amazon £115. With a case and everything. I’m in two minds as there is also that Megger for £108.

That Martindale one that you found originally seems good for £60 and then a case at £21. So it’s not too bad. But I don’t know if it’s worth paying the extra and getting the socket and see from Amazon or the Megger. Does the Megger have additional functions? As I’ve seen the Martindale in college when we done some safe isolation. Looked good.

Last edited:
Seems a lot for a case. Maybe it’s good quality. I’m unsure about buying used test equipment and it was open to offers but you would only save a fiver. There is a brand new socket and see on Amazon £115. With a case and everything. I’m in two minds as there is also that Megger for £108.

That Martindale one that you found originally seems good for £60 and then a case at £21. So it’s not too bad. But I don’t know if it’s worth paying the extra and getting the socket and see from Amazon or the Megger. Does the Megger have additional functions? As I’ve seen the Martindale in college when we done some safe isolation. Looked good.
What other functions are you looking for? it's a case for your tester and proving unit.

Reply to Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock