Discuss Washing machine off boiler circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Bonjour I'm a level 3 apprentice at the moment and have a side job to fit a double socket for a washing machine, only power is off a fuse spur supplying a gas boiler, which is also protected by a 13a, is this okay?

If the boiler requires a 13A fuse then I would say that it's not ok to add to this supply.

what cable/circuit supplies the boiler? it maybe possible to use the 13A FCU to feed the washing machine and then add a 2nd FCU (3A) to spur off to bolier. all depends on existing circuit arrangement.

what cable/circuit supplies the boiler? it maybe possible to use the 13A FCU to feed the washing machine and then add a 2nd FCU (3A) to spur off to bolier. all depends on existing circuit arrangement.
Haven't taken it off the wall yet but from what I know, it's off a 13a fuse, don't know what it's wired in yet but from the Spur to the Boiler it's 1.5mm flex, don't know what's going into the spur

Haven't taken it off the wall yet but from what I know, it's off a 13a fuse, don't know what it's wired in yet but from the Spur to the Boiler it's 1.5mm flex, don't know what's going into the spur
Depends how the boiler spur is wired, is it off of a RFC or a separate radial solely for the boiler?

Nothing wrong with asking questions , but you should have a think about it first before replying , it's okay to ask for pointers but it's not okay to ask someone to tell you how to do the job

Nothing wrong with asking questions , but you should have a think about it first before replying , it's okay to ask for pointers but it's not okay to ask someone to tell you how to do the job
Firstly as an apprentice do you expect me to know everything? How am I suppose to learn this trade without asking questions? Did you know how to do everything at 18?

Firstly as an apprentice do you expect me to know everything? How am I suppose to learn this trade without asking questions? Did you know how to do everything at 18?

Learning aside - do you have insurance to cover this work? have you told HMRC about your 2nd income? Certificates? Test equipment?

Adam, I suggest you join the Trainee Only section of this forum, get your head in a few books, watch the John Ward youtube videos and scour the internet for answers, then perhaps come here or the trainee section and post a suggested plan of action. Asking such elementary questions would suggest to most you have not tried to research this matter yourself and would like the answer served up on a plate. We are all still learning but perhaps you need to take responsibility for trying to find the answer to the basics first.

Don’t get to disheartened with the responses either Adam,this place is an absolute gold mine for training if you ask the right questions and as roly says do a bit of research first and you may find you don’t even need to ask the question, but do keep at it :)

Reply to Washing machine off boiler circuit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net