Discuss What regulation does L shape chase come under in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

I am told a chase I did was dangerous and should never be done in this way. My thinking was considering all things it was in safe zones and is not dangerous. I would appreciate opinions on the matter please. The other part of the picture is where the client claims a scratched pipe when drilling through the joist and will have to have the pipe repaired. Again opinion would be welcomed. I could not go straight through due to obstructions above.DCimage.JPG dcimage2.JPG

I am told a chase I did was dangerous and should never be done in this way. My thinking was considering all things it was in safe zones and is not dangerous. I would appreciate opinions on the matter please. The other part of the picture is where the client claims a scratched pipe when drilling through the joist and will have to have the pipe repaired. Again opinion would be welcomed. I could not go straight through due to obstructions above.View attachment 33696 View attachment 33697
Pipe repair, can't see any damage apart from a shiny mark IMO client is pulling a fast one apart from being a dilbert, pipe repair my ---

Your work is to regs no problem, however this may seem harsh but i would prefer to see a prescribed zone created or an alternative route found!
There is a stud work on the right hand side could you not of used that.?

Your work is to regs no problem, however this may seem harsh but i would prefer to see a prescribed zone created or an alternative route found!
There is a stud work on the right hand side could you not of used that.?
Fair comment ! You would still have the problem of going through the 2' of brickwork above the stud partition requiring a chase. And would still have hit the obstuctions above in the loft, but yes I suppose I could have got around them if I really had to. But to my understanding it is in a prescribed or safe zone i.e. within 150mm from corner or ceiling

Fair comment ! You would still have the problem of going through the 2' of brickwork above the stud partition requiring a chase. And would still have hit the obstuctions above in the loft, but yes I suppose I could have got around them if I really had to. But to my understanding it is in a prescribed or safe zone i.e. within 150mm from corner or ceiling

Like i said its fine to regs within a safe zone i was just offering some constuctive advice and the op may benefit from other members input, i would have created a safe zone or used as much of the stud as possible before going into the 150mm edge zone, being honest no dig intended. I would ask the person questioning your work to quote a bs7671 reg number aggainst your work, when he cant he should then drop it.

I believe these routes are permitted where access to voids in the ceiling and floors are not possible or where they are concrete. This allows rewiring of properties without using surface systems. Obviously if earthed containment is not employed additional rcd protection is required.

Hi V - Of course I could be wrong, but I look at OSG page 77 and I see a drawing that looks just like the chase and reg 522.6.202(i) seems to be the reference source for the drawing. Cheers, David.

I try to avoid chasing sideways at ceiling height, but sometimes needs must. If the ceiling isn't getting plastered, and there is no access from above what else can you do.

Not sure how using the stud work changes anything at all tbh?

I've attached the relevant page from the OSG, I think they are aiming to harm a kitchen fitter though as the only thing I can think of domestic that is drilled that high is the fixing for a cooker hood.

Attachments

• Wiring Safe Zones.pdf
    584.8 KB · Views: 20

Reply to What regulation does L shape chase come under in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net