Discuss What size earthing cable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MEGGER?

Been to price up a kitchen today,customer has had DB replaced,new 10mm to gas and water,but electrician has left in what appears to be 6mm green cable from distributors earthing terminal to new DB.What if any regs does this contravene and if so what should the cable size be? (Still and always learning)

right, a few myths are abounding here.

If your fed from a TNC-S system, then your minimum main earth is a 10mm, and this is to satisfy the bonding requirements of table 54.8 of BS7671.

with a TT system , you earthing copnductor should be sized to the lowest posssible resistance of your earth rod. The resistance of an earth rod is called Ra. Howveer your must also comply with table 54.1, which says that if your cable mechanically protected, then the min size is 2.5mm2, and if your cable is not mechanically protected, then the min size is 16mm.

On a TN system, and this method can also be used to size the earh to an earth rod, you need to use the adiabatic equation, or table 54.7 of BS7671.

the adiabatic is S= (square root(i2t))/k

i is the current that will flow in the conductor in an earth fault. This can be calculated from Uo/Ze, or your measured PEFC can be used.
2= squared (cant get the symbols on here)
t is the time taken for the protective device to tripwith the current above. this is found by looking at the time/current curves either from BS7671, or manufacturers info.
k is a factor that is listed in BS7671.

The adiabatic is the most economical way of sizing earthing, and circuit protective conductors.

Read chapter 543 onwards in the BS7671, page 160 onwards.

right, a few myths are abounding here.

If your fed from a TNC-S system, then your minimum main earth is a 10mm, and this is to satisfy the bonding requirements of table 54.8 of BS7671.

with a TT system , you earthing copnductor should be sized to the lowest posssible resistance of your earth rod. The resistance of an earth rod is called Ra. Howveer your must also comply with table 54.1, which says that if your cable mechanically protected, then the min size is 2.5mm2, and if your cable is not mechanically protected, then the min size is 16mm.

On a TN system, and this method can also be used to size the earh to an earth rod, you need to use the adiabatic equation, or table 54.7 of BS7671.

the adiabatic is S= (square root(i2t))/k

i is the current that will flow in the conductor in an earth fault. This can be calculated from Uo/Ze, or your measured PEFC can be used.
2= squared (cant get the symbols on here)
t is the time taken for the protective device to tripwith the current above. this is found by looking at the time/current curves either from BS7671, or manufacturers info.
k is a factor that is listed in BS7671.

The adiabatic is the most economical way of sizing earthing, and circuit protective conductors.

Read chapter 543 onwards in the BS7671, page 160 onwards.
where can i get the above stated standards

where can i get the above stated standards
You can google the adiabatic equation, try to get hold of an official copy of BS7671 but bear in mind that your electrical regulations will most likely be different from ours

Reply to What size earthing cable? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock