Discuss What the hell is this main fuse? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

On a job this morning doing an EICR. As you will see from photos main live conductor showing signs of burning out at termination. Checked tightness of termination and main switch all seemed fine. I thought I would check main fuse rating to see rating of this. Supply is tncs with 16mm live conductors and 10mm main earth. On checking main fuse I come across what you can see in photo. A hollow round tube in fuse link terminals. This surely isn't legit? The fuse was sealed so I assume it was supplier that put it in

Attachments

• What the hell is this main fuse? IMG-20200602-WA0001 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20200602-WA0001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 182
  • What the hell is this main fuse? IMG-20200602-WA0004 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20200602-WA0004.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 182
  • What the hell is this main fuse? IMG-20200602-WA0003 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20200602-WA0003.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 178
  • What the hell is this main fuse? IMG-20200602-WA0002 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20200602-WA0002.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 176
Looks like 20mm galv conduit

wonder what rating they put on the certificate

It's not a fuse it's a link!

This is fused upstream somewhere.

There will be an incomer to the property, at this point it will split into several fused supplies - one to each flat for example.

In the flat there will be a link - clearly marked as it will have a dark red / maroon coloured holder.

It was this one.

You need to find the main incomer to the building.

And be wary of pulling main fuses, this should be left to suitably trained and equipped persons.

No idea why you pulled that sealed link.
Judging by the photo of a burned conductor at the incoming switch I presume they were going to replace the cable & switch so needed it off?
[automerge]1591102494[/automerge]
I guess curiosity resulted in them opening once out...

OK I should have read the text more carefully, no replacement just checked tightness. Doh!

Why did you pull that link?
And that DB is a mess start in there and don't worry about a DNO cutout

Judging by the photo of a burned conductor at the incoming switch I presume they were going to replace the cable & switch so needed it off?
[automerge]1591102494[/automerge]
I guess curiosity resulted in them opening once out...

OK I should have read the text more carefully, no replacement just checked tightness. Doh!
There is an isolator between the meter and cu.

So no need to pull the link.

Edit

Also - the tails look too thin to me - single layer of insulation?

I would suggest the main switch in the DB has been replaced following a burnout, but not by a competent person as the isolator is not of the correct manufacture and the damaged conductor has not been rectified. It would be interesting to see how the busbar is connected given that the L and N connections are on the wrong sides
Edit post crossed with pc1966 who is clearly thinking the same

It would be interesting to see how the busbar is connected given that the L and N connections are on the wrong sides
Well spotted, that also explains the neutral being nicked by the fixing screw post!
[automerge]1591103707[/automerge]
Also - the tails look too thin to me - single layer of insulation?
Yes, another good point as no sign of a second sheath.

Reply to What the hell is this main fuse? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock