Discuss What to do with two additional red wires when using newer light fitting? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I am changing a light fitting and have excess wires. I’ve matched up the three core wires for the feeds I have but have two additional red wires left (pic included).

What do I do with these? Just tape them off separately? Or should they be inserted somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help! (I think the complexity comes from old wiring being used for a new light fitting)

View attachment 47760
It's not clear what's hanging off the wire but if it's just a regular pendant do think about using a ceiling rose, this kind of thing, they cost very little, have nicely insulated terminal blocks and strain relief for the cable to keep the weight off the connections.

Hi Sam - it might be just me not being able to see, but how the heck do you pick out the earth on the flex from the light?

Pretty certain yes - I matched the colours and everything seemed logical and made sense.

Thanks for everyone’s quick responses - I’ve just ordered some connector blocks from amazon so will wait until they arrive before I complete the job.
Have you have tested the circuit before and how will will test the circuit afterwards as required by the Wiring Regulations ?

Also is there just a single earth as there is only one G/Y sheath.

As Shoei has said above you really should be using a proper ceiling rose which will get rid of the connector block - which cannot go into the void wrapped in tape, but needs an enclosure as stated in the Wiring Regs.

As has been said, the connector block should not be stuffed into the void, but it will usually be contained by an enclosure (that requires tools to access - the body of the lamp) that will usually contain the strain relief for the cable.

You are joking of course ???

My apologies and to the OP. It was inappropriate sarcasm based on what will probably end up happening anyway

As the others have said here, the connections, for safety, should be in an enclosure, such as a ceiling rose or a Hager J501.

But most importantly, don’t guess it, if you’re unsure, please call a reputable electrician

Reply to What to do with two additional red wires when using newer light fitting? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock