Discuss What type of RCD is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sivoodoo

What type of RCD is this? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Any ideas? This is a picture the customer sent me so I aint had a propper look yet.

I need to put in a shower circuit and was going to split the tails (Henley block) and fit a shower consumer unit with 30ma rcd.

Could I put the shower unit after the RCD pictured.

Yes there is a spare way on the pic but this has now been used.

Attachments

• What type of RCD is this? cu - EletriciansForums.net
    cu.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 101
It should have the rating and hopefully a BS number on it and that would give some idea.

Is the install a TT? It may be the old VOLCB in which case, it needs renewing.

Only guessing mind.

If you are installing a shower then maybe the best way to go would be to do as you suggested, bearing in mind that you still need to make sure all earthing arrangements are satisfactory.

Cheers Jason,
If it is VOLCB, whats the cheapest option for replacement that meets regs without installing a new CU.

Replace with stand alone RCD in an enclosure, similar to whats fitted in the CU's nowadays.

Make sure the rating is sufficient for the load.

You can get them in 40, 63, 80amp etc, at 30mA.

Any ideas? This is a picture the customer sent me so I aint had a propper look yet.

I need to put in a shower circuit and was going to split the tails (Henley block) and fit a shower consumer unit with 30ma rcd.

Could I put the shower unit after the RCD pictured.

Yes there is a spare way on the pic but this has now been used.
can't make it out but it looks like a 4 module current operated rcd.If its 30ma and you wanted to provide descrimination you would be best taking your new rcd/shower unit supply from the line side of it.

I'd go with a board change, can't see alot of space for a shower CU in that cupboard! And if they wan't something else added in the future a 10way twin rcd board would make it easy!

Reply to What type of RCD is this? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock