Discuss When do I start painting and call the electrician back for second fix? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

JLeague

-
DIY
Reaction score
So my plasterers have nearly finished plastering. All new skim plaster on plasterboards. Now I know I have to wait a week before I start painting.

I was wondering when do I call my electrician back? After I have painted the walls or before I paint them?

Now the electrician has left a point downstairs and upstairs active but there are no working lights.

PS I think someone gave great advice re cleaning the metal boxes which were full of plaster. I just used a damp cloth - I hope that is ok?

So my plasterers have nearly finished plastering. All new skim plaster on plasterboards. Now I know I have to wait a week before I start painting.

I was wondering when do I call my electrician back? After I have painted the walls or before I paint them?

Now the electrician has left a point downstairs and upstairs active but there are no working lights.

PS I think someone gave great advice re cleaning the metal boxes which were full of plaster. I just used a damp cloth - I hope that is ok?
There may be some making good after 2nd fix, cracked plaster around vaious outlets and light fittingsm I would wait until the Electrician has finish 2nd fix and testing before you splash out on painting, excuse the pun.

once the plaster has dried, the accessories can be fitted. however, it may be prudent to let the electrician not screw them right down, so as to allow for the paint splasher to do the walls without turning your chrome sockets into eggshell magnolia.

It all depends how good the decorator is. Even with switches in place, there shouldn’t be any paint on anything other than the wall.

just make sure whoever tiles the kitchen doesn’t grout all the sockets in.

once the plaster has dried, the accessories can be fitted. however, it may be prudent to let the electrician not screw them right down, so as to allow for the paint splasher to do the walls without turning your chrome sockets into eggshell magnolia.

Paint Splasher. lol Thats a good one. Are you speaking from experience?

I agree, get the electrician to do second fix and bag the sockets etc. you'll probably have to screw them on to the wall yourself.

There's a reason for this. I have been to a number of sites where I did first fix, went away and came back (some weeks later) after our friends the spreader has been in to work his magic.

OK, connect up all the sockets, do some tests but no continuity for the ring. Mr Plasterer has filled a box - or two - and skimmed over it. In some cases, there will be a detailed plan of socket locations, but sometimes it is hammer time!!. And you dont want that to happen on your newly painted wall.. just saying.

Bit of a chicken and egg scenario!
The painter wont want accessories fitted as it makes his job easier but will probably want the lights working!
Ditto as above re-protecting accessories during painting process!

Reply to When do I start painting and call the electrician back for second fix? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock