Discuss When do I start painting and call the electrician back for second fix? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JLeague

-
DIY
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

So my plasterers have nearly finished plastering. All new skim plaster on plasterboards. Now I know I have to wait a week before I start painting.

I was wondering when do I call my electrician back? After I have painted the walls or before I paint them?

Now the electrician has left a point downstairs and upstairs active but there are no working lights.

PS I think someone gave great advice re cleaning the metal boxes which were full of plaster. I just used a damp cloth - I hope that is ok?

Aico 3000
Pete999

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
So my plasterers have nearly finished plastering. All new skim plaster on plasterboards. Now I know I have to wait a week before I start painting.

I was wondering when do I call my electrician back? After I have painted the walls or before I paint them?

Now the electrician has left a point downstairs and upstairs active but there are no working lights.

PS I think someone gave great advice re cleaning the metal boxes which were full of plaster. I just used a damp cloth - I hope that is ok?
There may be some making good after 2nd fix, cracked plaster around vaious outlets and light fittingsm I would wait until the Electrician has finish 2nd fix and testing before you splash out on painting, excuse the pun.

telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
once the plaster has dried, the accessories can be fitted. however, it may be prudent to let the electrician not screw them right down, so as to allow for the paint splasher to do the walls without turning your chrome sockets into eggshell magnolia.

buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear

-
Esteemed
Arms
Tip for you ask the spark to put freezer bags over the second fix gear and not screw down but let loose so the splash and dash painter can cut round the gear.

littlespark

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
It all depends how good the decorator is. Even with switches in place, there shouldn’t be any paint on anything other than the wall.

just make sure whoever tiles the kitchen doesn’t grout all the sockets in.

J

JLeague

-
DIY
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
once the plaster has dried, the accessories can be fitted. however, it may be prudent to let the electrician not screw them right down, so as to allow for the paint splasher to do the walls without turning your chrome sockets into eggshell magnolia.
Paint Splasher. lol Thats a good one. Are you speaking from experience?

Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

-
Esteemed
Arms
I agree, get the electrician to do second fix and bag the sockets etc. you'll probably have to screw them on to the wall yourself.

There's a reason for this. I have been to a number of sites where I did first fix, went away and came back (some weeks later) after our friends the spreader has been in to work his magic.

OK, connect up all the sockets, do some tests but no continuity for the ring. Mr Plasterer has filled a box - or two - and skimmed over it. In some cases, there will be a detailed plan of socket locations, but sometimes it is hammer time!!. And you dont want that to happen on your newly painted wall.. just saying.

C

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Should have just used Sokitz and had it all working before plastering.

littlespark

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Should have just used Sokitz and had it all working before plastering.
I’ve just had a look at that sokitz product.
Nice idea, but will the plasterers/ painter etc get annoyed with the covering top and bottom? I can see them taking them off to do their work and refitting it themselves.

D

DefyG

-
Bit of a chicken and egg scenario!
The painter wont want accessories fitted as it makes his job easier but will probably want the lights working!
Ditto as above re-protecting accessories during painting process!

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to When do I start painting and call the electrician back for second fix? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom