Discuss where do you buy s type rcd's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

thekingiam

i was just wondering where do people buy there s type td rcd's from? there seems alot of different prices on line from 30 pounds to 80 pounds.
i have split load cu with two 63 amp 30ma rcd's on a tt installation, original rcd is 80amp 30ma so trips out when a fault.
could i use 80 amp stype 100ma or 100amp s type 100ma? would a 63 amp also work?
do i need an upfront rcd at all as discrimination is already in cu via split load rcd?

i was just wondering where do people buy there s type td rcd's from? there seems alot of different prices on line from 30 pounds to 80 pounds.
i have split load cu with two 63 amp 30ma rcd's on a tt installation, original rcd is 80amp 30ma so trips out when a fault.
could i use 80 amp stype 100ma or 100amp s type 100ma? would a 63 amp also work?
do i need an upfront rcd at all as discrimination is already in cu via split load rcd?

Well that sort of asks me why are you wanting this upfront RCD?

If you have an outside supply via a SWA yes I could see why you want it
If you had a metal clad CU again I can see why you would want it

I know we get respected posters on here telling us that they would like to see a 100mA RCD upfront as a main switch and then respected final circuits on the 30mA, and stating that it the 100mA is an insurance, but in reality it is not required.

Now whether some regard it as bad practice or not, it is not a requirement of the regs unless in the 2 areas I've high lighted....................You really need to weigh up what your client wants, if he is happy to have the extra protection at a cost then by all means do it, but you can't tell him that it is a regulation he needs it

client is sister and no money left in pot, ive spent it lol
pvc yes, outside supply yes?what difference would outside supply mean as protection? if cable got damaged would main fuse go 30ma rcd's go and maybe mcb's?

Yeah saw that .................lol

Bog standard outside supply in a domestic situation is normally a SWA, not always but normally.

Well as this is an earthed cable there is no need to afford it the additional protection via a 30mA RCD. So on a normal TN system you could easily place it on a non RCD side of the board and therefore you would not get a problem with tripping the whole house out as you can fit the RCD protection locally.

TT is different because there is little chance you will get a low enough Zs to activate a normal protection device, so to get around this you would put you SWA on a 100Ma S type RCD and give you discrimination

Reply to where do you buy s type rcd's in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock