Discuss Where is the best place to get tools from? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Makita are the go-to if you want rubbish batteries, chucks that fail and a horrible grip that gives you blisters. 😉

Been waiting a long number of years to experience the complaints you regularly list about Makita. Impact driver is over seven years old, so hopefully those blisters will soon materialise - getting a bit fed up with all these tools pretending to be reliable 😂

To the OP: You'll eventually decide on a brand of power tools (if you haven't already in the months since starting this thread) and it will likely be Dewalt, Makita or Milwaukee - whichever it is, skip the cheap stuff and buy from the better drills/drivers offered by that manufacturer. They all make cheap stuff that's okay for light work, but unsuitable for regular or heavier work and all these manufacturers are much of a muchness, despite what people might tell you.

Don't know why, but I keep getting the feeling that one member has been on here under a different name. Might just be me?

Don't know why, but I keep getting the feeling that one member has been on here under a different name. Might just be me?
Thought the site would have been notified? I signed in with the 'sign in with google' button. Thought the accounts would be linked?

Been waiting a long number of years to experience the complaints you regularly list about Makita. Impact driver is over seven years old, so hopefully those blisters will soon materialise - getting a bit fed up with all these tools pretending to be reliable 😂

To the OP: You'll eventually decide on a brand of power tools (if you haven't already in the months since starting this thread) and it will likely be Dewalt, Makita or Milwaukee - whichever it is, skip the cheap stuff and buy from the better drills/drivers offered by that manufacturer. They all make cheap stuff that's okay for light work, but unsuitable for regular or heavier work and all these manufacturers are much of a muchness, despite what people might tell you.
A lot of my kit is Makita, some I don't rate. The DHP458, I've gone through 3 of them in about 7 years, think I can strip 2 down to make 1 work. The DHP481 is much better though.

The 18v Multitools are not great, DTM50 is a pile of junk - mine broke with a common fault outside of warranty and DTM51 while still going has problems now, the Dewalt DCS355 is much much better performing, although only had it about a year.

The 18v angle drill is next to useless there is more power in a fart. I've the part to repair mine but haven't had chance to fix it yet, the Milwaukee OSD 2 attachment (not a power tool, an adaptor for any combi drill or impactor) is far far superior.

A lot of my kit is Makita, some I don't rate. The DHP458, I've gone through 3 of them in about 7 years, think I can strip 2 down to make 1 work. The DHP481 is much better though.

The 18v Multitools are not great, DTM50 is a pile of junk - mine broke with a common fault outside of warranty and DTM51 while still going has problems now, the Dewalt DCS355 is much much better performing, although only had it about a year.

The 18v angle drill is next to useless there is more power in a fart. I've the part to repair mine but haven't had chance to fix it yet, the Milwaukee OSD 2 attachment (not a power tool, an adaptor for any combi drill or impactor) is far far superior.

DHP481 is a great drill (currently offered by Amazon at the bargain price of £99.95), but I don't know much about the DHP458. I'm keeping an eye on the DHP486 which is very similar to the 481, but about 1" shorter and and a few extra Nm of torque - not that they're needed.

To be fair I've seen a few broken DTM50s, but never owned one - I use the TDM30 (12V) as it does what I need, without so much bulk and weight.

Not used the OSD2, but I have Dewalt's angle attachment and tried Milwaukee's shockwave angle attachment and don't rate either - certainly will pull you out of a hole, but found both to be fiddly and a pain to use. It was the former that drove me to buy an angle drill (12V DA333). The angle drill isn't particularly powerful, as you describe the 18V, but it's done what it had to on the couple of occasions it has been needed.

Going back to my previous comment, you pretty much make my case. Some tools are good and some not so much. Some tools are better from one manufacturer, but other manufactuers will fair better with different tools. If it was the case that one of those popular brands consistently knocked it out of the park, we'd all be using that brand. There is no 'best' brand among these most common manufacturers, but each has its high and low points.

Screwfix & Toolstation regularly have promo's on tools and work gear / boots etc etc

Screwfix had 35% off wiha vde screwdrivers recently and Toolstation had 35% off CK vde cutters / pliers etc

Ebay re-sellers also have some deals from time to time , the other week I grabbed Keter technicans case which was rrp £55 and got it for £30 , it was new just missing the original packaging

Some gear I like to spend good money on , cordless tools and pliers

Other stuff such as wood bits not so much , bought a few sets of SDS auger bits and regular hex auger bits

Socket sets and hex bit kits can't be bothered spending big there's always some go missing

Always a balance between buying good kit and stuff getting broke damaged, lost or stolen

Screwfix & Toolstation regularly have promo's on tools and work gear / boots etc etc

Screwfix had 35% off wiha vde screwdrivers recently and Toolstation had 35% off CK vde cutters / pliers etc

Ebay re-sellers also have some deals from time to time , the other week I grabbed Keter technicans case which was rrp £55 and got it for £30 , it was new just missing the original packaging
Only problem with ebay is it's full of snides

Only problem with ebay is it's full of snides

Used to be the case with designer goods from 'private' sellers.

Where tools are concerned it's highly unlikely that you'll find counterfeits on ebay, but no end of batteries, chargers and drills that are listed "for Makita/Dewalt etc", but are unbranded.

Reply to Where is the best place to get tools from? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock