Discuss Who Are You Registered With? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I`m not registered with anyone yet but am using NICEIC Certificates that are available to none registered contractors with the intention of registering soon.

NICEIC for two years, just changed to Napit.

I can't agree with anyone posting anything like, 'A is better than B'. We've all encountered disgraceful installs by members of various organisations.

I guess the difference is really one of how much experience do you have. Me, I'm at the latter end of my youth; my experience is soured by experience; I am not put off by money grabbing aggressive approaches of the marketing guys, I'm still more inclined to favour the personal touch as portrayed by Elecsa. I quite like Napit but they a bit out of reach when it comes to what I want.

I learnt my electrics something like IEE 12/13th Edition.. in the 70's .. gave up due to being out of touch and I then decided to become competent again and I must say I quite like the new regime :)

When it comes down to it I think it doesn't really matter who you join up with, just go by personal taste. At the end of the day you will become experienced and worthy by which I mean your Clients will be your advert and your recommendation! These companies that we have to register with are not to be our masters so much as our servants in time of need & like all good servants you have to pay them to keep them handy:p

very well said

Not registered yet.
Met Tony Cable of NICEIC who said I could get the VAT off by going through him, so £370 inc VAT instead of £370 plus VAT.
Trouble is he said someone would call me back, but they haven't got round to it yet.
Not sure they value my (or anyone's) business very much.
Thinking ELECSA or NAPIT might give better service to their customers.
Nobody I've worked for recently gave a damn who I was registered with or even if was registered at all.
Wouldn't bother if Bristol City Council didn't want a minimum of £120 per notifiable job :eek:

I am with Elecsa.
As a start up, it was helpful that they din't need to see as many sites for the inspection as NICEIC.
In a previous role as PDH for a different company, I went through the NICEIC mid term assessment also.
I found the NICEIC and Elecsa inspections to be similar in terms of rigour.

I am likely to register with NICEIC later in the year also because they have a much higher public profile.

I am very impressed with the NICEIC "Learning Lounge" as well.

D

Hi Danny,

I work for Learning Lounge so thanks for the testimonial, I should just point out that Learning Lounge is a privately run company and we work in association with many orgs such as NICEIC and Megger to produce the content and you will shortly see some Elecsa sponsored content as well.

Best regs

Terry

Trouble is he said someone would call me back, but they haven't got round to it yet.
Not sure they value my (or anyone's) business very much.

Very true, when you are registered with them and have an issue with them, they are very awkward and don't seem to give a flying .......... about you.

I will shortly be registering with the NIC. Although i would prefer to Register with ELECSA they unfortunately dont have the Publicity that the NIC has. I've met far too many Sparks on Building sites that have lost jobs due to the customers wanting a NIC approved Sparky - never having heard of ELECSA. We all know that its the same scheme - the customer doesnt, and the customer isnt interested in our stories because of adverts stating to only use a NIC approved electrician.

Just had my NAPIT Assesment, [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]field officer was really nice and helpfull, all went well.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I know this is a very very general question that people hate... but I really am at a limb on what would be best for my company.

I get in as much commercial and industrial work as pos and very rarely do domestic (naughty but never had one signed off because of all the part p malarky) but that doesn't mean to say it isn't a proper install because they all are.

I have 2391, 2330, 17th and NVQ L2.
I do periodics as part of my work too (industrial and commercial)

I'm thinking NIC coz of the reputation. But the rest of them I have no idea if they are suited to me. I've read this whole thread and still have no idea who I should go for!!

Based on my status can anyone suggest who they think I should go with?

Cheers

I'm about to register with a part-p scheme and I must admit to being in a real dilemna over who to join.

I've narrowed it down to either Elecsa or NIC.

Why those two? Well, the bloke I work with is with Elecsa and the feedback from him and forums such as this is that they are a great no-nonsense and friendly organisation who also come under the umbrella of the ECA. The NIC because they are so well marketed and publicised. A lot of Joe Public almost see them as "Part - P" and recognise them straight away.

I do admit that I see joining the NIC almost "going over to the dark side"; I don't like the way they portray themselves as the definitive and only scheme - there's a degree of dishonesty there - but this is where I would have to have to guts to stand up to my principles and put them to one side and join Elecsa isn't it? Trouble is, when faced with the possibility of getting possibly more work with a NIC symbol on the van it's not so easy to stick to ones principles - gutless as I am.

There is the possibility of course that Elecsa will publicise themselves as aggressively as the NIC do - and why not? I would have thought that the ECA would have even more clout. So why don't they? Their members would be much better off if they did. Why moan about the NIC and their never-ending steamrolling advertising and pomposity? It's not the NIC's fault that the other schemes seem to sit meekly by and let them get on with it with no opposition whatsoever.

Once the principle aspect is overcome there is the issue of cost - both schemes seem to be much of a muchness in that respect. But then I would be a new start-up company - do the NIC allow this? At one point they wanted your company to be active for at least 12 months.

Then there is this PIR issue. As we know, you do not need to be part-p registered to carry out PIR's - but it would be nice to be able to use logo headed PIR's wouldn't it - although at what financial cost?! And do they require 2391 also for this privilidge?

I´ll weigh all this up and come to a decision soon.

Quick follow up; I´ve just confirmed joining costs with both organisations:

NICEIC

Full Scope application + 1/2 day visit = 468 inc VAT (joining on-line)

After joining, should you wish to use NICEIC PIR paperwork you can apply for a PIR assessment when they require to inspect 2 PIR's you have carried out = 348 inc VAT

So, total cost for both is 816 inc VAT (or without PIR assessment using generic PIR's then just the 468 inc VAT).

ELECSA

Full Scope application + 1/2 day visit = 444 inc VAT (joining on-line)

Once you have passed the assessment then you are able to use ELECSA logo PIR's at no extra cost.

Reply to Who Are You Registered With? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net