Discuss Who Are You Registered With? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi Everyone,

Love this forum and this thread is particularly of interest to me as NICEIC are our biggest client - we make their DVD's for them! (apologies if we've sent you to sleep)

I'm very aware of the negative opinions about the NICEIC, many of which seem justified, I just wondered if there were any NICEIC registered sparks out there that can give positive feedback or stories of happy membership?

Cheers

Tel

I'm very aware of the negative opinions about the NICEIC, many of which seem justified, I just wondered if there were any NICEIC registered sparks out there that can give positive feedback or stories of happy membership?

Cheers

Tel

theres a 4 week gap between this post and the last , says it all really

Ron55,
if you've gone through apprentice training and worked hard all your life in the electrical feild,
kept up with changing regs etc, it really doesn't feel good to be told that you can't do pir's unless you pay more monies by people sitting in chairs all day !!! you can't go wrong with NAPIT. I haven't found any prejudice with councils or other organisations, and if you did, NAPIT actually sort it out.
There is one criteria they insist on, and that's the 2391. As an experienced sparky, it's not really a problem, and NAPIT do give a window of a year to gain it. ( assesors are old sparks and know what they're looking for)
Good luck with who ever you choose....Regards, Kev

Please tell me if im wrong but how I understand is that to do Periodic Inspection Reports you need to be competent and it does not come under Part P. Its a report not a certificate so based on the readings and compared to design criteria this is what should be submitted to the Client person ordering the works.
So i see paying money to NICEIC OR ANY PART P scheme for PIRs is a con.

You are right Roggi.

I think you would only sign up to NICEIC or similar if you do PIRs and you knew being a member would get you more work.

Although you will need the professional indemnity insurance which I understand NICEIC can provide.

Regs

Tel

theres a 4 week gap between this post and the last , says it all really

It says nothing really Pete, I joined the niceic domestic installer scheme in 2005 purely because of the law & part P.
Since then I’ve had no problem at all. They’ve done exactly what they say they will do, (which I suspect is the same for elecsa, nappit and the others)
They notify my work, inspect me annually and have a good help line, nothing more than I would expect.
Please tell me if im wrong but how I understand is that to do Periodic Inspection Reports you need to be competent and it does not come under Part P. Its a report not a certificate so based on the readings and compared to design criteria this is what should be submitted to the Client person ordering the works.
So i see paying money to NICEIC OR ANY PART P scheme for PIRs is a con.

You are right Roggi, it is a con.
Which is why I do not pay the niceic to do PIRs, I just do them and issue my own certificate.

Hi Everyone,

Love this forum and this thread is particularly of interest to me as NICEIC are our biggest client - we make their DVD's for them! (apologies if we've sent you to sleep)

Cheers

Tel

Nope!

(NICEIC fully aproved member for 8 years)

Registered with ELECSA, most of my work is domestic & in past 5 years have lost 1 job for not being NICEIC. Truth be told, no-one else has ever asked & whilst I advertise part 'P', no-one understands what it means. Same old, same old.

I am registered with ELECSA as they were incredibly friendly and helpful when I was making my enquiries into joining a Part P scheme. The other main operation (not naming names etc) were at the other end of the scale, the fact that most of the public know their name has obviously over-inflated thier egos and they only seemed interested in taking my card details upon my first contact with them, and then became rather disinterested when I said I was a self-employed sole trader. More power to ELECSA (pardon the pun), totally on the side of the one-man operation and the new startup firms, and their website is a doddle to use and register your jobs. On top of that, their assessors are proper time-served sparkys who have earnt their stripes by getting their hands dirty, and do all they can to make your assessment as painless and stress-free as possible. Can't speak highly enough of this outfit, well done ELECSA!

I agree with you 100%,^^^^^^

I have recently registered with Elecsa too.. Very helpfull.

Hi,

On my future plans, I would like to work only with microgeneration products, and I have to chose now as I see between NAPIT and NICEIC (because I hope later I can do commercial works as well.)
But I'm not sure, which one would be better later.

If I registering with NAPIT, then I can do everything ( commercial, Industrial as well)
I just need to do this “Microgeneration Certification Scheme”.
And thats it, no more do this, do that...

If I chose NICEIC, then first I have to be domestic installer, after I can apply for PIR, and after this, after that, after blabla... Its too many steps.. And you must pay always.. Plus you most organize works, what they can view..
I could do this “Approved Contractor Scheme” but here are (again) so many things which are not clear... (their website is a piece of sh*t )
I opened my company half year ago (and I was self-employed before for 2 years)
I have the 17th edition and the 2391-10.

But to be an approved contractor they asking :
-employing and supporting a Principal Duty Holder and Qualified Supervisor
(c) has had at least two consecutive years' managerial or
supervisory responsibility for the technical standard of
electrical installation work; and
(e) is conversant with the Electricity at Work Regulations*,
BS 7671*, associated guidance material* as prescribed by
NICEIC, appropriate British Standard* and other
Industry Codes of Practice*; and
-Application assessment
(2) Every applicant shall produce to NICEIC's appointed
representative a list of all electrical work completed during
the previous six months and of all electrical work in
progress, and make available the specifications, drawings,
certificates and reports relating to that work.
-The Field Engineer will normally select a minimum
of five samples of the range of electrical work
carried out to inspect for the assessment.

Questions:
-Can I'm the Qualified Supervisor with my qualifications ?
-what is if I didn't make any jobs with my company in the last 6 months,
because I'm employed by an another company ?
-the 5 sample must include domestic, commercial, and Industrial job as well ?
Possible to show them 1 job now, 2 another job 1 month later, and another two 3 month later ?

Waaa, and many-many more questions :S

But the only important is:
Is it big disadvantage to chose Napit, if I want to do domestic or industrial jobs ?
Can you show any example (advert, tender, anything) where is it written,
that they just accept the NICEIC certifications ?

Sooory, for my english, and for this “neverendingstory” :D

Best regards,
Tom

With ELCSA you can't make commercial and industrial inspection and testing. :S

I would prefer NAPIT, but It would be very annoying if I miss a job, just because I'm registered with different "company". And if you just lose one commercial or industrial job because this, then you lose much more then the difference is..
But the procedure with NICEIC is quite ridiculous (if I compare to anothers..)

So I'm still thinking about this, but next week I would like to start the procedure..

You dont have to be registered with anyone to carry out commercial or industrial work, however, this is dependant on the clients requirements.

If you are going with the NIC then you will need approval status as the domestic installer scheme does not cover commercial installs.

Hmm,

"You dont have to be registered with anyone to carry out commercial or industrial work, however, this is dependant on the clients requirements."

So, could I make right now a small industrial unit installation, and just fill the standard form (Appendix 6) ?

"If you are going with the NIC then you will need approval status as the domestic installer scheme does not cover commercial installs."

Yepp, this is my problem with NICEIC, this approval status looks impossible for a start up company..
If I start as domestic installer then I have to show them 2 of my works.. Then When I'm applying for PIR, I must show again.. Anf if later I can make the approval status, I have to show them another ?5?..
Plus money, money, money... grr..

In for a penny......... :) ................

I looked the various entities and my first impulse was to go to Mr Nice who stopped me in my tracks when I was told my qualification EAL modules 1-infinity was insufficient! I got in touch with my course tutor and armed with new regs returned to the nice bunch who regarded my application with great suspicion even though I pleaded that qualifications were sufficient!! Having been advised that Mr nice was not actually that nice, I changed track and have just joined up with Elecsa to whom I am determined to remain loyal :)

Anyway, I feel comfortable with Elecsa and they (and this forum) gives me sufficient confidence to know I can be of benefit.

I might add that the letters I received from the other bunch only reinforce my view that they are good at marketing .....

For me it was quiet important, that I could do everything in a future (PIR&Commercial&Industrial), so finally I chose NAPIT. And will see in a future, how big disadvantage is this. But later I could change easily to NIC, because I will have finished works, 1 year company history, etc.. (these things are difficult for a startup Co.) But I hope (KNOW!:)), it won't be neccessary..

Best regards,
T0M4

I guess the difference is really one of how much experience do you have. Me, I'm at the latter end of my youth; my experience is soured by experience; I am not put off by money grabbing aggressive approaches of the marketing guys, I'm still more inclined to favour the personal touch as portrayed by Elecsa. I quite like Napit but they a bit out of reach when it comes to what I want.

I learnt my electrics something like IEE 12/13th Edition.. in the 70's .. gave up due to being out of touch and I then decided to become competent again and I must say I quite like the new regime :)

When it comes down to it I think it doesn't really matter who you join up with, just go by personal taste. At the end of the day you will become experienced and worthy by which I mean your Clients will be your advert and your recommendation! These companies that we have to register with are not to be our masters so much as our servants in time of need & like all good servants you have to pay them to keep them handy:p

Reply to Who Are You Registered With? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock