Discuss Who can issue a Minor Works cert? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

NotAPlumber

I have been through a time served electrical apprenticeship, achieved LV 3 2330, AM2, NVQ, and all other stuff to do with, 6 years ago. I do not not have test and inspect. I have always worked for large contracting companies, in the cushy side (maintenance) and have never had to supply certs for work done.

I have recently started with a new firm, and they require a minor works cert if you change a light fitting/ socket/ anything. To me, if thats what they need, thats what they need, and it seems right. However I am wondering if you need to be test and inspect approved (2394/5) to issue minor works test certs? Having not had to do them for prior companies means I'm a little out of tune with doing it, having not looked at a regs book since college. Do I just need to sharpen up, or do I need to go on 2394/5? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I do want to do my test and inspect, and the new firm is hopefully going to put me through it next year.

EICs, EICRs and MEIWCs shall be compiled and signed or otherwise authenticated by skilled persons, competent to verify that the requirements of the Standard have been met. (631.4).

A skilled person (electrically) is a person who possesses, as appropriate to the nature of the electrical work to be undertaken, adequate education, training and practical skills, and who is able to perceive risks and avoid hazards which electricity can create (Definitions).

The key crieteria is competency. Competency is gained through education, training and time on the job. Qualifications (like 2394/5) are one way of demonstrating competency, but they're not the be-all and end-all. If you need to sharpen up then do so - start with the On-Site Guide, and Guidance Note 3 (GN3). There is nothing in the Regs that says you need this qualification or that. Your employer/client might, but that's between you and them. :)

Simple answer is: anyone who conducts electrical work where appropriate certification is required to be issued in accordance with BS7671.

I have a single phase doing smart meter so can I sign minor works cirts

I think you may need to give a bit more information. Not quite sure what you are asking.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I think there's an argument that if you are competent to be doing the work unsupervised, then you are competent to be issuing the certificate to go with it.

Reply to Who can issue a Minor Works cert? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock