Discuss Why do commercial sparks bash house bashers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cause house bashers aren't normally sparks. They are pretend sparks. No Qualifications except they can get it passed off by a spark. Checked and tested. Bring a house basher to an industrial job. Like tray and basket and see how they fair. What about doing a three phase board.
I bet if a piece of unistrut hit they wouldn't know what it was.
then again an industrial spark mayhave trouble lifting a floor board without it looking like a plumber had butchered it up.

Cause house bashers aren't normally sparks. They are pretend sparks. No Qualifications except they can get it passed off by a spark. Checked and tested. Bring a house basher to an industrial job. Like tray and basket and see how they fair. What about doing a three phase board.
I bet if a piece of unistrut hit they wouldn't know what it was.
You've just lumped all domestic electricians into 'no qualifications'?

Tray and basket are hardly rocket science either, if you can put a shelf up you can put tray up.

Agree though that there would definitely be an adjustment period since everything is different.

I think in training, every apprentice should get a feel for all sides of the business, whether their company does that sort of business or not… the trainee should get some hands on experience in everything.

There are good and bad sparks on both sides of the fence… and the ones that think they are better than the others are the bad ones. They maybe can’t get their heads round the other type, so avoid that work by saying it’s crap, won’t catch me doing that, this is better etc etc.

Housebashing is cheap work. Developers are looking for a cheap job, done quick. One job, repeated time and time again in different properties.

industrial tends to have multimillion pound budgets, one off designs and meticulous planning.

My last big job was Heathrow Terminal 5.
Spent weeks cutting tray and trunking, running cables. Absolutely no thinking whatsoever on my part.

I think in training, every apprentice should get a feel for all sides of the business, whether their company does that sort of business or not… the trainee should get some hands on experience in everything.

There are good and bad sparks on both sides of the fence… and the ones that think they are better than the others are the bad ones. They maybe can’t get their heads round the other type, so avoid that work by saying it’s crap, won’t catch me doing that, this is better etc etc.

Housebashing is cheap work. Developers are looking for a cheap job, done quick. One job, repeated time and time again in different properties.

industrial tends to have multimillion pound budgets, one off designs and meticulous planning.

My last big job was Heathrow Terminal 5.
Spent weeks cutting tray and trunking, running cables. Absolutely no thinking whatsoever on my part.
Imo self employed bashers get more money though. Hard to find work going for more than £20-25 an hour working commercial for someone else, but working for yourself doing domestic your take home can be significantly higher, especially somewhere like the north east where starting pay is between £15-18 for qualified, experienced men.

I'm also currently on an airport - it's all surface and very easy to run because they tell us exactly where to put everything.

I read it that the OP has got an apprenticeship with a commercial firm. And that he has noticed a difference in work ethic between commercial and domestic.
Either way, I'd guess it's more to do with whoever runs the company than it is the individual tradesmen. There are good companies and less good companies in both fields.
When the person completes the Commercial Apprenticeship, will he be classed as an Electrician? Commercial, domestic or industrial, a laughable situation don't you think?

spark house bashers aren't normally sparks. They are pretend sparks. No Qualifications except they can get it passed off by a spark. Checked and tested. Bring a house basher to an industrial job. Like tray and basket and see how they fair. What about doing a three phase board.
I bet if a piece of unistrut hit they wouldn't know what it was
Defining 'housebasher' can be difficult.
Is it a derogatory remark for a lesser regarded fully qualified spark? (mickey take).
Are they fully qualified who do domestic only?
Are they lesser qualified who do domestic only?
Are they unqualified who do domestic only?
What about those who do all types, including domestic?

What about designing and completing a half million pound 'domestic', 3phase installation in a mansion? You still have to do a Part P, if it's a habitable building.

Must I admit that I'm an occasional housebasher, or be proud of the fact? I must admit, helping someone out with a house problem can be quite satisfying.

What is an expert housebasher?
One who does a job correctly and by the book or one who does things as cheap as possible, cut's all corners and couldn't care a to$$?

I'd call it all 'open to opinion'.

Defining 'housebasher' can be difficult.
Is it a derogatory remark for a lesser regarded fully qualified spark? (mickey take).
Are they fully qualified who do domestic only?
Are they lesser qualified who do domestic only?
Are they unqualified who do domestic only?
What about those who do all types, including domestic?

What about designing and completing a half million pound 'domestic', 3phase installation in a mansion? You still have to do a Part P, if it's a habitable building.

Must I admit that I'm an occasional housebasher, or be proud of the fact? I must admit, helping someone out with a house problem can be quite satisfying.

What is an expert housebasher?
One who does a job correctly and by the book or one who does things as cheap as possible, cut's all corners and couldn't care a to$$?

I'd call it all 'open to opinion'.

They guy who posted that comment is seeking access to the trainee forum, so I'm sure they've many years ahead to gain a better understanding about all aspects of the industry.

They guy who posted that comment is seeking access to the trainee forum, so I'm sure they've many years ahead to gain a better understanding about all aspects of the industry.
I was originally referring to opinions like Keyspark01's which i see very often online, where those working in industrial or commercial settings think less of those who do domestic only.

I'm not going to go for the trainee forum - they want to know what time i go for a dump in order to get access to it. Not really up for giving away personal info to a random online forum ?

I'm not going to go for the trainee forum - they want to know what time i go for a dump in order to get access to it. Not really up for giving away personal info to a random online forum ?

Supposed to be a lot of help and useful information available in the trainee forum. I once looked at the access requirements and only remember that verification of college course was required, but could be wrong. It's not unreasonable that they'd want to restrict access to those who are genuinely engaged in training.

Us that have been here a while get to access the Electricians Arms... to talk about non public things... (a bit like the Masons i think)

Have to give Dan our credentials for that too

most decent domestic sparks i know, they tend to go the extra mile.

the rate at which all the pubs are being demolished/ refurbed into care homes, we all have to go the extra mile. at this rate we'll all evolve into camels.

I've done a fair bit of Industrial and Commercial type work over the years but these days it's probably 90% Domestic. I do think that those who sneer and look down on domestic sparks in many cases wouldn't cope with that aspect of the trade or do the work particularly well if they had to.
There's an art to running in cables properly and neatly with minimal disruption or damage to the fabric of the property and you also need to be able to adapt to and overcome ever evolving snags as the work progresses at times. And with some customers you really need the patience of a saint.
It can also be exhausting, whereas although some Industrial work can involve heavy cables everything is fixed surface and easily accessible within reason. I also think that a lot of domestic work can be poorly executed and shoddy but a really good install doesn't stand out as everything is hidden with just accessories on the walls on show.

I've done a fair bit of Industrial and Commercial type work over the years but these days it's probably 90% Domestic. I do think that those who sneer and look down on domestic sparks in many cases wouldn't cope with that aspect of the trade or do the work particularly well if they had to.
There's an art to running in cables properly and neatly with minimal disruption or damage to the fabric of the property and you also need to be able to adapt to and overcome ever evolving snags as the work progresses at times. And with some customers you really need the patience of a saint.
It can also be exhausting, whereas although some Industrial work can involve heavy cables everything is fixed surface and easily accessible within reason. I also think that a lot of domestic work can be poorly executed and shoddy but a really good install doesn't stand out as everything is hidden with just accessories on the walls on show.
More so these days, yes. It all depends on the work and conditions, though. Industrial can be tough and much 'dirtier' than domestic.
As a contractor, I used to do work at a silver recovery plant, installation of new machines and services, as well as maintenance. Methods of recovery involved chemicals and the burning of x-ray plates. Never worked in worse condition, working on the burners...black as the ace of spades and absolutely shattered every night. Fault finding on breakdowns was a nightmare, everything covered in black dust and mostly in awkward spots behind the units......plus the almost unbearable heat, whilst masked up.

Last edited:

Reply to Why do commercial sparks bash house bashers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net