Discuss Why do commercial sparks bash house bashers? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've not had the portfolio chat yet as haven't started college but am i right in saying that a lot of lads are unable to finish it because they only do specific types of domestic work?

Probably more of a struggle for them to fulfill some of the requirements.

Maybe I'll get shot down for this, but it's quite likely that guys working on domestic installations will have a significant advantage when it comes to testing.

Thankfully, i've been put under the commercial industrial side. I've had one small job in someone's house but that's it.

I already know basically how to do domestic for most things single phase like sockets, lights, radials etc so i'm glad to be on the commercial side getting the experience there. I think it's much easier for a commercial industrial spark to walk into a house than the other way round. I really don't see how someone who has only ever done single phase domestic installs can walk into something with dozens of sub boards with a supply in the kVs.
Disagree with you there. I did my apprenticeship with a commercial & domestic company, then jumped ship for a company that just did house bashing, then left to work for a company working only at the British Leyland car factory in Cowley (you might need to Google that), which was purely industrial (then left the industry). And if I say so myself, did a pretty good job in all those fields ?

The thing is, not everyone has such picky high standards, unlike most of the sparks on this forum. That said those other sparks, don't spend their time pursuing forums such as this. They will spend their weekend enjoying what else life has to offer, outside wires, snips and Wago's.

Do what you do, as best you can, and don't bother what everyone else does; as long as you can meet your bosses expectations, which you'll find is key, whatever you think.

And don't pee others off, telling them they should be doing this that and the other, or this is the best way.

Not saying yours are, but crap tools make the job miles harder, and longer.

What i'm saying is before i started at this company, from what people online say, you'd think commercial was the big holy grail where everything was engineering precision but it's not the case - a lot of these blokes carry around a barely functioning tool kit. I had to borrow a couple of things last week and they were almost unusable and made the job ten times harder.

Trying to strip 4mm T+E with a rusty pair of blunt cutters when a pair of £18 auto strippers are on the market..
4mm T&E killed my CK auto strippers on Friday, granted it was a particularly piggish LSF with sheath like granite and insulation that just stretched and ripped.

I was doing 30 double sockets in dado and got to about 25 when the mechanics failed.

I hope to get a year out of a pair and these have just about made it.

Not sure if to go CK again or try something new, the Klein ones in CEF have been giving me the eye for a while now.

And don't pee others off, telling them they should be doing this that and the other, or this is the best way.
Hell no.

For one i'm only an apprentice, i'm there to learn and do as i'm asked not shout the orders. And there's another guy who just started who is shouting the odds re: regs and people are already getting annoyed with him.

4mm T&E killed my CK auto strippers on Friday, granted it was a particularly piggish LSF with sheath like granite and insulation that just stretched and ripped.

I was doing 30 double sockets in dado and got to about 25 when the mechanics failed.

I hope to get a year out of a pair and these have just about made it.

Not sure if to go CK again or try something new, the Klein ones in CEF have been giving me the eye for a while now.
I've got a pair of 'Dexter' ones that i got in Europe. Strips everything up to 4mm with ease even though i'm quite sure they're a cheapo brand.

How so? We do loads of testing at work on big 3 phase boards.

Was thinking more from a fault finding perspective. Cables aren't easily accessible in domestic situations, and DIY bodges more common, so my thinking is that fault finding is more reliant on testing.

I could be wrong, but those are my inexperienced thoughts.

over the years, I've found that with industrial and commercial faults, it's generally failure of cables and/or equipment. with domestics it's more likely to find humam/moron intervention is the cause.

Was thinking more from a fault finding perspective. Cables aren't easily accessible in domestic situations, and DIY bodges more common, so my thinking is that fault finding is more reliant on testing.

But the big question is how many CAN fault find......and to what degree.
No matter what field, sometimes it's basically the same constant of splitting into sections
and a process of elimination.
But there are those who can follow a schematic, those who can't and those who can design and adapt them.

I feel that knowledge and experience in all fields is for the true electrician.

Sounds like a reasonable point to me to be fair mate.

over the years, I've found that with industrial and commercial faults, it's generally failure of cables and/or equipment. with domestics it's more likely to find humam/moron intervention is the cause.
Mind you, you can't allow for not being able to bend conduit because the previous 'maintenance electrician' has painted the conduit bending blocks with bright blue enamel paint, as I found in one large factory, years back admittedly.

fault finding requires a certain way of thinking. not all sparks have this aptitude. even the best installers can be fazed with a N-E fault. all down to basic training. not obtained on a 5 week crash installer course, as niceic are now realising the error of their money grabbing ways over the last 10 years. time they put some back on the kitty for some re-education courses.

Mind you, you can't allow for not being able to bend conduit because the previous 'maintenance electrician' has painted the conduit bending blocks with bright blue enamel paint, as I found in one large factory, years back admittedly.
monkeys get everwhere .

But the big question is how many CAN fault find......and to what degree.
No matter what field, sometimes it's basically the same constant of splitting into sections
and a process of elimination.
But there are those who can follow a schematic, those who can't and those who can design and adapt them.

I feel that knowledge and experience in all fields is for the true electrician.

I raised this point as it seems to be one area where apprentices working in commercial/industrial settings might gain less experience than those working solely on domestic installations.

Seeing a number of electricians struggle with fault finding was one of the main factors that drove my desire to retrain and I want to make the most of every opportunity to learn all possible tricks from the fault finders handbook.

Probably more of a struggle for them to fulfill some of the requirements.

Maybe I'll get shot down for this, but it's quite likely that guys working on domestic installations will have a significant advantage when it comes to testing.
I would have to disagree there? Every Commercial & Industrial Job requires testing and Certificates handing in, in-fact the testing is more involved in an industrial/commercial environment, I frequently do work in schools and no stone goes unturned & certificates are allways handed in. Test & Inspecting factories can be a complex & lengthy procedure. Im not knocking Domestic Electricians at all, Ive seen some tremendously skilled ones who have completed rewires in occupied houses and got cables only where i could dream! With minimal disturbances to residents LOLS.

I would have to disagree there? Every Commercial & Industrial Job requires testing and Certificates handing in, in-fact the testing is more involved in an industrial/commercial environment, I frequently do work in schools and no stone goes unturned & certificates are allways handed in. Test & Inspecting factories can be a complex & lengthy procedure. Im not knocking Domestic Electricians at all, Ive seen some tremendously skilled ones who have completed rewires in occupied houses and got cables only where i could dream! With minimal disturbances to residents LOLS.
although i agree with you on principal, most industrial sparks have the design done, they then install as per spec. (tray/cable/fixings/etc/) and rthen a higher pay grade does the testing/certifying.

What it will also do is make putting together your portfolio much easier.
Thankfully, i've been put under the commercial industrial side. I've had one small job in someone's house but that's it.

I already know basically how to do domestic for most things single phase like sockets, lights, radials etc so i'm glad to be on the commercial side getting the experience there. I think it's much easier for a commercial industrial spark to walk into a house than the other way round. I really don't see how someone who has only ever done single phase domestic installs can walk into something with dozens of sub boards with a supply in the kVs.
Thats Great News for you gaining experience, it will definitely help with your portfolio and future. The more systems you can gain experience in the better, it really will help with your future. It can be tough going as there is alot to learn. Invest in good tools, and keep a good thirst for knowledge (as well as a few beers!) and in a few years the world will be your Oyster! Dont worry about working with the KVs - thats a whole different ball game, you wont need to ever touch that.

I've just started an apprenticeship with a decent sized firm (I got taken on full time - hooray!) and was thinking this week about how a lot of people, mostly online, turn their nose up at people who do domestic work.

I was wondering why, since at my work everybody seems to do the bare minimum but with most decent domestic sparks i know, they tend to go the extra mile.

Is there a difference in quality of workmanship simply because people want to do a better job for their own customers as opposed to commercial sparks who are simply getting the job done and aren't personally responsible for the final job?

Just seems to be a lot more 'just get it done' mentality on the commercial side.

Another thing i noticed is hardly anyone has the correct tools for the job and the tools they do have are mashed up.

So people will be using blunt cutters where the tip of one side has shattered off, or drivers with half the shaft insulation hanging off. Then there are other things which not bad but just 'doing it the hard way' like cutting PVC conduit with a hack saw having 3m of it flapping about instead of just buying a £10 pipe cutter, or using hammer and chisel/pad saw to cut out for back boxes where the wall is double skinned chipboard/plasterboard because nobody has a multi tool. Putting up conduit? Simply measure out from some maybe straight maybe wonky reference point and use your 6 inch torpedo level to get it right, instead of simply using a proper spirit level, making the job ten times easier.

When in the domestic setting it seems most people have the basic tools that make life easier.

Is it simply a case of 'not my job, don't care that much' on site compared with running private jobs directly in people's homes?
Cause house bashers aren't normally sparks. They are pretend sparks. No Qualifications except they can get it passed off by a spark. Checked and tested. Bring a house basher to an industrial job. Like tray and basket and see how they fair. What about doing a three phase board.
I bet if a piece of unistrut hit they wouldn't know what it was.

Reply to Why do commercial sparks bash house bashers? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock