Discuss wireless switching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

j_mccl

I have a customer who would like a central heating pump to be switched from a light switch in a bathroom the opposite side of the building, does anyone know of a wireless solution to this problem

The pump is to circulate the domestic hot water around the building on a ring main so that the cold water does not have to be drained out of the pipes before the hot water comes through, the bathroom is the opposite side of the house from the pump which is in the kitchen about 20 meters away the customer would like the pump to start as the light switch is turned on

Old Dog, has posted the perfect link but i gotta be honest, im not entirely sure you can do this, without major alterations to the plumbing.

It might be best to fit a whole house pump that would pump the hot water when its called for, although this wont get over the cold water run off issue.

I have seen some installs that have a bronze pump to do exactly what you require, but as i said, needs some plumbing work too.

Wide range of bronze secondary water pumps from Grundfos and wilo HIE plumbing Direct

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen this product while searching earlier, the only thing that concerned me is would this transmitter work if connected to the light switch as it will be live.
I am not carrying out the plumbing work i have just been asked to put in the spur for the pump and how it can be switched

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Dog, has posted the perfect link but i gotta be honest, im not entirely sure you can do this, without major alterations to the plumbing.

It might be best to fit a whole house pump that would pump the hot water when its called for, although this wont get over the cold water run off issue.

I have seen some installs that have a bronze pump to do exactly what you require, but as i said, needs some plumbing work too.

Wide range of bronze secondary water pumps from Grundfos and wilo HIE plumbing Direct
ye jason i agree even with the pump coming on before the water depending how it is plumbed
you will allways get some cold water first even instsant water heater are not instant
if that makes sense

I have seen this product while searching earlier, the only thing that concerned me is would this transmitter work if connected to the light switch as it will be live.
hi not sure on that model but most will swich more than one light so convert bathroom light
to wireless set at same frequency to switch pump

Last edited:
ye jason i agree even with the pump coming on before the water depending how it is plumbed
you will allways get some cold water first even instsant water heater are not instant
if that makes sense

I think bronze pumps are designed to run 24/7 and circulate the hot water round the system so that its instant rather than have the CW run off.

I have only seen one working and i have to say it was very good.

BUT, the plumbing system has to altered/designed to work like this.

Jolly expensive i would think.

I would prefer the pump to be left on 24/7 but the customer asked weather it could be switched as asked, the house is being plumbed new anyway as it is a barn conversion.

I would prefer the pump to be left on 24/7 but the customer asked weather it could be switched as asked, the house is being plumbed new anyway as it is a barn conversion.

If the house is being newly plumbed then maybe have a chat with the plumber on site and see if he recommends another method.

Good luck.

Reply to wireless switching in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock