Discuss Wiring a 2 way switch to intermediate existing wiring. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could you be a bit more clear as to what you mean. Are you trying to add an intermediate switch to an existing two way circuit?

If you are just changing the faceplate it would have to be like for like, you cant change an intermediate switch for a two way.

If you are just changing the faceplate it would have to be like for like, you cant change an intermediate switch for a two way.
unfortunatley i have had the face plate for some time and its a 2way, i did not know i had a intermediate switch , is the any way i can loop it, i have 2 yellow together in a terminal block, and each of the 4 terminals on the existing switch have a wire in each

Intermediate requires 4 connections. It’s basically 2 pairs that get swapped over. A 2 way only has connections.
However, if your wiring system is conduit, you could have it rewired to work out as you want.... just one of the other 2 ways would need to be inter.

you could also get a decorative plate that fits over a regular white switch.

There is no way of turning a two way switch into an intermediate.
ok thanks for your help, looks like i will have to buy an odd intermediate switch which wont match the others, bloody nuisance
[automerge]1594402402[/automerge]
Intermediate requires 4 connections. It’s basically 2 pairs that get swapped over. A 2 way only has connections.
However, if your wiring system is conduit, you could have it rewired to work out as you want.... just one of the other 2 ways would need to be inter.

you could also get a decorative plate that fits over a regular white switch.
unfortunatley not conduit (set in plaster ) the deco plate is not an option , i bought some years ago newlec black insert with brass effect surrounds which i beleive are obsolete
thanks fro your reply

Its actually quite easy to convert your setup but there is a down side. you will loose one side of your multiway switching. For instance, you'll loose either your upstairs/downstairs /hall switching ability. As an example, I think you'll be very unhappy if you have to go downstairs to turn the upstairs light on/off

Its actually quite easy to convert your setup but there is a down side. you will loose one side of your multiway switching. For instance, you'll loose either your upstairs/downstairs /hall switching ability. As an example, I think you'll be very unhappy if you have to go downstairs to turn the upstairs light on/off
okay thanks for your reply, i might try to canabulise the switch to put 4 connections from the old switch, prob wont work as springs etc will pop out, just wished i could get the switch , dont suppose anyone out there has got one, its a newlec but i think also branded as alto/wickes b and q , shiny black insert with a clipon surround, came in various colours, brass/chrome/black/red etc

A picture of the decorative 2 way switch that you have would help a lot, picture of both the front and the back of it. It could be possible to take the rocker out of the switch you have and swap it

Any on ebay?
am checking with a seller on ebay, thanks
[automerge]1594458222[/automerge]
A picture of the decorative 2 way switch that you have would help a lot, picture of both the front and the back of it. It could be possible to take the rocker out of the switch you have and swap it
this is the type of switch,thanks

Attachments

• back.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 17
  • front.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
am checking with a seller on ebay, thanks
[automerge]1594458222[/automerge]

this is the type of switch,thanks
Never seen one like that, only thing I have seen that's anywhere near close is Clipsal (the rocker switch is very similar to what you have, the plate much less so)

Reply to Wiring a 2 way switch to intermediate existing wiring. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net