• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Wiring for the Australian market - hot water unit in the Electrical Talk - All Other Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

I purchased an Ecosmart 8 Instantaneous hot water system from Amazon and its really made for the North American market. The wiring says it need two active wires to make up 240 volt and no Neutral, Customer support have also told us this, however in Australia we have one red active wire and a black neutral wire. And of course yellow/green earth. Its wired up ready to go with red and black making up 240 volt. Will this work or am I going to damage something? If not how are we expected to wire this up? Thanks in advance.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
While the appliance is not going to care if it is 240V L-N, or 240V L-L, I doubt it is approved for the Australian market, and I am of the opinion that appliances should be made for and approved for use in the market it will be used in, things can be really buggered up when it is a North American appliance that requires a 4-wire 120/240V supply because it has internal 120 volt components.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for your reply. I took a chance and turned it on. Works fine so yes I am happy. You are correct as it is not approved for the Au market my plumber is going to have a caniption fit when he sees this thing. It does not have the Watermark logo which means it is not an approved appliance but I dont care, I do things my way. IE: with my solar I never pay electricity bills and generally get an $800 rebate in summer. Thanks for your reply.

Reply to Wiring for the Australian market - hot water unit in the Electrical Talk - All Other Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom