Discuss Wiring for the Australian market - hot water unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ratcat

-
Reaction score
I purchased an Ecosmart 8 Instantaneous hot water system from Amazon and its really made for the North American market. The wiring says it need two active wires to make up 240 volt and no Neutral, Customer support have also told us this, however in Australia we have one red active wire and a black neutral wire. And of course yellow/green earth. Its wired up ready to go with red and black making up 240 volt. Will this work or am I going to damage something? If not how are we expected to wire this up? Thanks in advance.

While the appliance is not going to care if it is 240V L-N, or 240V L-L, I doubt it is approved for the Australian market, and I am of the opinion that appliances should be made for and approved for use in the market it will be used in, things can be really buggered up when it is a North American appliance that requires a 4-wire 120/240V supply because it has internal 120 volt components.

Thank you for your reply. I took a chance and turned it on. Works fine so yes I am happy. You are correct as it is not approved for the Au market my plumber is going to have a caniption fit when he sees this thing. It does not have the Watermark logo which means it is not an approved appliance but I dont care, I do things my way. IE: with my solar I never pay electricity bills and generally get an $800 rebate in summer. Thanks for your reply.

Reply to Wiring for the Australian market - hot water unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock