Discuss wiring metal light holder to old ceiling rose in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello there
I bought a vintage smoked glass shade chandelier pendant ceiling light and wired it up ok (well the bulb didn't blow) but took it back down because the brass thingy wouldn't do all the way up on my existing ceiling rose.Can i just wire up the metal ceiling light holder to my horrible looking ceiling rose or should i just buy an adapter to use my E27 bulb.Thank you.

how many wires are there on that flex?
I have a concern that it is a metal light fitting with no earth cable?
this could be ok if it is double insulated.
where did you get it? has it got any form of CE markings on it or the instructions?

where did you get it? has it got any form of CE markings on it or the instructions?

I think it may be one of those metal effect plastic ones but I could be wrong.

Hello there
Just the brown and blue though there is a earth wire on the light Fixing itself but that bit wont screw all the way up on my existing ceiling rose as not enough space so just want to swap the basic light holder that hangs down for my metal one.
all connected to my old plastic ceiling rose i have now.
Hope that makes sense. Thank you
[automerge]1573676567[/automerge]

Last edited:
Have you got a photo of the inside of the new rose?

That lamp holder looks like my link here and required an earth as my image shows a three core flex.

Sorry i dont but mine is similar to this pic i just found except my light only have the blue and brown wire in the flex and it has the earth wire connected to nut and washer like in this picture. Im not going to use that bit of the light. I just want to use the other part of the light (metal holder with braided flex) connected to my old plastic ceiling rose.
Source URL: wiring metal light holder to old ceiling rose - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/wiring-metal-light-holder-to-old-ceiling-rose.180605/#post-1587941

Attachments

• wiring metal light holder to old ceiling rose similar to my on - EletriciansForums.net
    similar to my one.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 16
That flex from the lamp holder on that pic i see a three core or am i mistaken .and if saw that earth on that flex must be earhed.
I will post actual pics of my light tomorrow hmmmmm l8er today just as soon as i can figure out whats best to use as im not a tech savvy person.
Im leaning towards using the camera as i know how to get the pics on the pc.
I'd like to take us all back to the good old days when a stylophone was cutting edge technology

It is three core.
Hello there
I managed it so here are the pics.The other day i wired it up (ok i think as light worked) but the metal cover wouldn't do all the way up on my existing ceiling rose because of the nut and that so can i just use the flex and metal bulb holder on my existing plastic rose just using the blue and brown wire?

Attachments

• wiring metal light holder to old ceiling rose IMG_0112.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0112.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 12
  • wiring metal light holder to old ceiling rose IMG_0113.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0113.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 11
  • wiring metal light holder to old ceiling rose IMG_0114.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0114.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 12
  • wiring metal light holder to old ceiling rose IMG_0115.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0115.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 11
That flex from the lamp holder on that pic i see a three core or am i mistaken .and if saw that earth on that flex must be earhed.
Hello there I managed it so here are the pics.The other day i wired it up (ok i think as light worked) but the metal cover wouldn't do all the way up on my existing ceiling rose because of the nut and that so can i just use the flex and metal bulb holder on my existing plastic rose just using the blue and brown wire? Attachments IMG_0112.JPG 95.2 KBViews: 5 IMG_0113.JPG 98.9 KBViews: 5 IMG_0114.JPG 124 KBViews: 5
Source URL: wiring metal light holder to old ceiling rose - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/wiring-metal-light-holder-to-old-ceiling-rose.180605/#post-1588058

Reply to wiring metal light holder to old ceiling rose in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock