Discuss wiring under cabinet strip lights supply or load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi

Wonder if anyone could give me a bit of advice. I have taken out my old fluorescent lights from under my cabinets and I'm replacing them with low wattage led strip lights. I have 2 in total. I have my mains supply cable which comes from my Light Switch and this cable runs to under my first kitchen cabinet. I am just going to join my first strip light with an unswitched connection unit. The Supply terminal connecting with the Light switch and the Load terminal to my strip light. I then need to connect a second length of cable running from the connection unit so that I can wire light number 2. Was just wondering do I double up the wires from the "Supply" or "Load" side from my original connection unit? When I think about it, it looks like either but thought I better check. Thanks very much if anyone can give me any advice

If I follow your description, you put both lights on the LOAD side of the connection unit and the feed from the light switch on SUPPLY.

Sometimes these connectionunits have a neon indicator on them connected to load, if it was wired in reverse, the neon would be lit all the time.

Please isolate circuit before connecting.... not just off at the light switch.

Hi again, sorry for being a pain, littlespark has answered this but I just wanted to post a picture and double check in case I hadn't explained it right earlier. This is the junction box under my kitchen cabinet. It was wired like this when I moved into my house but I want to wire it into an unswitched fused connection unit and then onto a second unswitched FCU. Do I double up the "cable leading to FCU number 2" on the Supply or Load side. On the pic below it's wired together on the supply side of the terminal block. Or does it really matter? Thank you all once again
wiring under cabinet strip lights supply or load {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not sure why you are using 2 separate fused connection units, but I may have misunderstood.

I ensure the cable sheaths are inside the junction box, and provide strain relief for the cables. You may already be going to do this, I can see it's work in progress.

Is this fed from the kitchen (or another) lighting circuit on a 6A mcb? If so, why bother with adding extra fuses in series, as unless you fit 3A fuses they won't have any benefit.

Hi DPG and Timbo. It's not work in progress, that's what it like as I find it. I really just want to tidy it up and make sure it's safe. Everything works fine as it is. It's just that the wires seem to hanging out of the chockbox and I just feel that it would be better wired into a connection unit of some sort with the cables hidden and restrained. I wouldn't think it would be a job for an electrician as I am just trying to put it into something more substantial. Just thought it would be better with a fused connection unit. I wouldn't think it really needs fused. My electrician has recently installed a brand new MK Consumer Unit with RCD protection. Thanks very much

If you want to just tidy up a little then you can't go far wrong with a flex connection plate and a surface patress.

https://www.screwflix..com/p/mk-logic-plus-1-gang-20a-flex-outlet-plate-white/70006

That's great Strima/Timbo, that would just do the trick. Can I just go back to my earlier query above and clarify whether I should use the "Load" or"suppy" to double up the cable for the 2nd connection plate. Or does it really matter? Thanks again

Hi again, sorry for being a pain, littlespark has answered this but I just wanted to post a picture and double check in case I hadn't explained it right earlier. This is the junction box under my kitchen cabinet. It was wired like this when I moved into my house but I want to wire it into an unswitched fused connection unit and then onto a second unswitched FCU. Do I double up the "cable leading to FCU number 2" on the Supply or Load side. On the pic below it's wired together on the supply side of the terminal block. Or does it really matter? Thank you all once again
wiring under cabinet strip lights supply or load {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
SUPPLY

Hi anthony, thanks for your repy, it just confuses me because in post number 2 it is mentioned that I double up the "Load". I kind of think it doesn't matter but I'm not 100% sure. Cheers

Hi anthony, thanks for your repy, it just confuses me because in post number 2 it is mentioned that I double up the "Load". I kind of think it doesn't matter but I'm not 100% sure. Cheers
Flex to light in load at each connection unit fit 3A fuse. Secure/clip cables and flex. And before you use clips and screws make sure they are too long and won't go through the unit (learnt hard way).

It may sound funny but when you are an apprentice sometimes you learn the hard way I wouldn't like to know the OP has screwed his connection unit into his Royal Doulton.

Cheers. Flex to light in load at each connection unit fit 3A fuse. Yea I agree with that. On both connections units I use "load" for the flex going to my lights. I have my "Supply" in unit 1 but I also I need to extend my "supply" to connection unit 2. So am I doubling up on the "Supply" or "Load" terminals on connection unit 1 when taking the cable across to unit 2. Cheers

Cheers. Flex to light in load at each connection unit fit 3A fuse. Yea I agree with that. On both connections units I use "load" for the flex going to my lights. I have my "Supply" in unit 1 but I also I need to extend my "supply" to connection unit 2. So am I doubling up on the "Supply" or "Load" terminals on connection unit 1 when taking the cable across to unit 2. Cheers

Supply, I have posted this once I will be getting told off for giving step by step guide.

Sounds like you have got there.
If you are using two fused connection units the supply goes to SUPPLY of each FCU. The lights are the load for each one.
If you are using junction boxes or flex outlet plates there is no difference between supply or load as there is no fuse to consider.
View attachment 46862
Thanks very much Richard for the clear explanation and diagrams.

Reply to wiring under cabinet strip lights supply or load in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock