Discuss Work in Sydney, Aus in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sibo14

-
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm a rencently qaulified spark with a good bit of commercial and domestic experience.
I'm off to Australia at end of October and will be based in Sydney. Anyone working or been working out there?
Looking for info on best places to find work, are agencies the go?
How do I become fully licenced out there? Will I have to start out a trade assistant?
Main differences actually working- are wiring systems broadly similar, 110v tools etc

Any advice much appreciated
Ta

Transferring license won't be easy, make sure all your paperwork and training records are up to scratch or you'll be knocked back. Most UK transfers I've met over here started as TA's while they jumped the hoops.

Wiring systems are a bit different. Almost no SWA outside of heavy industry, stranded white TPS in houses, orange circ in factories. No 110v Tx on worksites, everyone mostly uses cordless or 240V for heavy jobs.

You will start out as a TA as your UK quals don't mean a thing out here. You will then need to be signed off and licenced dependant on which area of sparking you wish to work in. House bashing, industrial etc.
You will also be required to sit an exam equivalent to what was the 2394 level 3 certs along with testing and diagnosing faults on a board. As a foreigner you will be required to pass this exam with 90% pas mark minimum.
Then you get your licence to work in NSW. If you wish to work in other states then you have to do their licensing tests. Not all states accept other states licences. eg SA licence is transferable to Queensland and victoria but not WA or NT. No such thing as a five week wonder out here.

I managed to transfer my SA licence to WA and NT through Mutual Recognition quite easily! Only WA or Victoria will maybe ask for extra documents and prices vary per state. My WA cost $400 and my NT $50.

Looks like is not as easy as I thought then. On the upside seems to be jobs around for unlicensed sparks/ta. I'm guessing there is some kind of h & s card I'll need similar to our own ecs...?

Dependant on state as to what they call it. In Queensland it was known as your white card. Here in the Territories it's called a blue card. It can be done on line and printed off, for a fee of course.

Reply to Work in Sydney, Aus in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net