Discuss Would you put a wall switch in a bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It depends on the bathroom but generally no. Most people want to see a pull switch and believe that you should not have a wall mounted switch in a bathroom so putting a wall switch in would be more trouble than it is worth.

But in a larger bathroom where there is no risk from condensation getting onto/into the switch I would do it if requested.

I have seen a pir sensor the same size as a 1 gang switch in use in place of a light switch , which is properly I/P rated and outside zone 1 should be o/k , but light swtches I wouldn't like to install myself ,,,,unless it is a really big room ,,

nah. use galv conduit

Yes , greater than 600mm is outside the zone so you can use light switches in that area as long as all circuits are protected by an RCD ,

Always find it interesting how we shy away from electrics and water in this country yet on the continent its part of their regulations to have sockets in the bathroom!

Been trying for years to get her indoors to dry her hair while in the bath ......

Yes , greater than 600mm is outside the zone so you can use light switches in that area as long as all circuits are protected by an RCD ,

You picking and choosing regs here and forgetting others... You switch is required to be suitable for the environment its placed in and as the bathroom is classed as having a high humidity and steam environment then a standard switch is not suitable as they do not provide good IP rating - the steam will condense on the cold plastic .... have you not seen this happen to the mirror?

You picking and choosing regs here and forgetting others... You switch is required to be suitable for the environment its placed in and as the bathroom is classed as having a high humidity and steam environment then a standard switch is not suitable as they do not provide good IP rating - the steam will condense on the cold plastic .... have you not seen this happen to the mirror?

This ^^^^ - Wet hands on an already steamed up switch - don't sound right, does it?? - regardless of where the zones begin/end

This ^^^^ - Wet hands on an already steamed up switch - don't sound right, does it?? - regardless of where the zones begin/end

This is the reason why I put this post up after having seen one.
I know the regs states outside the zones general rules apply but I still wouldn't put a normal switch in a bathroom unless it was huge.
I can't see how you could put one 600mm away from zone 1 as stated above condensation running down the wall

Funny, but it's never been a problem in the vast majority of other countries, like the States Canada, most if not all of Europe, and just about everywhere else i ever worked or visited. More like the inherited UK's draconian rules that have always beligered UK bathroom installations.....

this is it...

its a common misconception that you actually have to be in contact with exposed live parts to get a shock...

not so..

voltages can `track` across wet/damp surfaces...

With you on that one glen I remember my sister getting a shock with wet hands in her bedroom ,
adding damp condensation on face plate just asking for trouble

Like a lot of things it probably wont happen but I'd rather know it can't happen

Funny, but it's never been a problem in the vast majority of other countries, like the States Canada, most if not all of Europe, and just about everywhere else i ever worked or visited. More like the inherited UK's draconian rules that have always beligered UK bathroom installations.....

Maybe so but the nature of the switch means you usually don't get killed just a tickle or slam as you can't spasm clamp your hands on it till you fry, I have a plastic toothbrush holder and when I shower its full of condensation so why not a switch ...its to cover the small chance of a shock not the big picture of it rarely happens... we all know you can walk out of a bathroom with dripping wet hands when your body is at a lowered resistance and switch another switch on but in the scope of things its dry and not been ingressed with moisture while you shower.

Yes on the wider scope of things maybe draconian and extreme but the UK holds one of the lowest fatality by electric shock 'when the regs have been followed' than most other countries using the same voltage ... opinions always change when you know someone who has been killed by such situations ... 1 life is too many when it can be avoided quite easily by a simple regulation that doesn't add really any costs to a install.. Think your mind is been influenced by your location and your now slightly de-sensitised to our stricter regulations ..... I know you know your stuff ENG and hold you in respect but all i was doing was expressing a regulation.

Maybe so but the nature of the switch means you usually don't get killed just a tickle or slam as you can't spasm clamp your hands on it till you fry, I have a plastic toothbrush holder and when I shower its full of condensation so why not a switch ...its to cover the small chance of a shock not the big picture of it rarely happens... we all know you can walk out of a bathroom with dripping wet hands when your body is at a lowered resistance and switch another switch on but in the scope of things its dry and not been ingressed with moisture while you shower.

Yes on the wider scope of things maybe draconian and extreme but the UK holds one of the lowest fatality by electric shock 'when the regs have been followed' than most other countries using the same voltage ... opinions always change when you know someone who has been killed by such situations ... 1 life is too many when it can be avoided quite easily by a simple regulation that doesn't add really any costs to a install.. Think your mind is been influenced by your location and your now slightly de-sensitised to our stricter regulations ..... I know you know your stuff ENG and hold you in respect but all i was doing was expressing a regulation.
DC dark?....

Reply to Would you put a wall switch in a bathroom in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock