Discuss Xmas lights not working - replacement adaptor needed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GreigM

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there,

Wondered if someone could advise as not good with electrics! I have an expensive Xmas tree which is pre lit. It decided not to light up a few days ago and not really sure what the problem is. I thought it may be the power/ transformer plug but can't seem to find a replacement anywhere or anything like it with the same spec or plugs/ pins.

It has the following written on it;

Golden Power
Model GP-SW310DC0258-IP44(UK)
INPUT: 100V-240V. - 50/60Hz
OUTPUT: 31V 258mA, 8W

Ive attached pics of the adaptor and the connector it uses. I can't seem to find anything that matches online when searching under all the references. Ive contacted both the tree manufacturer an d Golden Power but they haven't responded. Im not sure they will be able to help so hoping someone can advise on a work around or maybe something else to try if the adaptor isn't the issue?

Thanks

Attachments

• Xmas lights not working - replacement adaptor needed? adap1 - EletriciansForums.net
    adap1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 11
  • Xmas lights not working - replacement adaptor needed? adap2 - EletriciansForums.net
    adap2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 11
Those “one round pin, one flat pin” plugs were used a lot in home hifi systems for speaker connections.
But I don’t think that’s the problem.

Do you have a multimeter that you can check if there’s voltage at the socket part of the adaptor?

Those “one round pin, one flat pin” plugs were used a lot in home hifi systems for speaker connections.

Do you have a multimeter that you can check if there’s voltage at the socket part of the adaptor?
Thanks, multimeter on its way! Will let you know. I had seen a video of someone shunting (or something like that) Xmas lights to get them to work but not entirely sure what that is and what it involves!

Hi, so the device arrived and checked the end of the adaptor/ pin plugs and they both are receiving charge. I say both as the wire splits into 2 to supply 2 different sections of the tree. I then checked the lead connections further in the tree (I think there are 5 connectors in total) and of the 4 I checked, all of them beeped to say receiving power. Any ideas as to why the thing isn't lighting up even though all sections appear to be receiving power? Thanks

Are the sockets receiving the right power?

A multimeter which gives a value would be better than a simpler voltage detector.

I am now thinking the power supply is fritzed.
It’s giving out some voltage, but not enough to power the lights.

Are the sockets receiving the right power?

A multimeter which gives a value would be better than a simpler voltage detector.

I am now thinking the power supply is fritzed.
It’s giving out some voltage, but not enough to power the lights.
Thanks, any advice on what multimeter to get? I had a look on Amazon but they seem to have multiple options on the dial and wouldn't be sure how to set up, connect to test? Thanks again

Thanks, any advice on what multimeter to get? I had a look on Amazon but they seem to have multiple options on the dial and wouldn't be sure how to set up, connect to test? Thanks again

Any multimeter will measure DC voltage, which is the range you should set it to. Some are auto-ranging, but some need the range setting manually - in this case start at the highest range and work down.

Do you know where you get replacement plugs for this type please

Is it just the actual plug you need? If so then look for 2 pin DIN type speaker plugs. Very cheap on ebay and you can get solder or screw types.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

To test the power supply properly you need to test it under load. The easiest and cheapest way to do this would be to get a 24volt 5 Watt truck sidelamp bulb, such as this: Lucas 248 24V 5W R5WHD - Single Boxed | Euro Car Parts - https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/lucas-248-24v-5w-r5whd-single-boxed-481771512?gclid=Cj0KCQiA99ybBhD9ARIsALvZavV0Ofywe41T32xbJXSizVz_FWVmqng1HljhhkrwKmE0QsRA4WfubLQaAgUYEALw_wcB and connect across the PSUs output.
It will just about load the PSU to its maximum current, but you will be applying 31 volts to a 24 volt lamp, so it will be white and bright.

To test the power supply properly you need to test it under load. The easiest and cheapest way to do this would be to get a 24volt 5 Watt truck sidelamp bulb, such as this: Lucas 248 24V 5W R5WHD - Single Boxed | Euro Car Parts - https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/lucas-248-24v-5w-r5whd-single-boxed-481771512?gclid=Cj0KCQiA99ybBhD9ARIsALvZavV0Ofywe41T32xbJXSizVz_FWVmqng1HljhhkrwKmE0QsRA4WfubLQaAgUYEALw_wcB and connect across the PSUs output.
It will just about load the PSU to its maximum current, but you will be applying 31 volts to a 24 volt lamp, so it will be white and bright.

Note the OP hasn't been on here since 2021. Someone else has now asked a question on the same thread though.

Reply to Xmas lights not working - replacement adaptor needed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock