Discuss 230/240vac 10.5a rated heat plate into Single Ph 32a commando socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, ist post:

I have a portable appliance which is a temperature controlled heat plate, the input requirements are single phase 230/240vac 10.5a, the unit is designed and built in the US and is factory adapted for the UK market. The supplied flex that comes with the unit is 3.3 mm sq 3 core which is far too big to allow a std UK 13a plug to be fitted. I have a 32a single phase commando socket I can use if I fit a 32a plug on the flex.

According to the regs is OK to use the 32a supply, or should it be fused to 13a? as I can fit a new 1.5mm sq 3 core flex with a std 13a 3 pin UK plug.

Welcome to the forum mate.
If the oven has been factory adapted for the UK market then it should explain in the manual how it should be wired. I take it it doesn't?

The info just gives the input requirements as above and the wire colours for the plug as L = Brown, N = Blue and E = Yell/Gn

There is no internal fuse on the unit, I am just concerned about if the regs state that a portable appliance should have the correct rated fuse at the plug, which I can't do with the 32a commando plug.

@10.5A you could replace the supplied flex with 1.5mm and fit a BS1363 plug, fused at 13A. all boxes ticked.

Hi all, ist post:

I have a portable appliance which is a temperature controlled heat plate, the input requirements are single phase 230/240vac 10.5a, the unit is designed and built in the US and is factory adapted for the UK market. The supplied flex that comes with the unit is 3.3 mm sq 3 core which is far too big to allow a std UK 13a plug to be fitted. I have a 32a single phase commando socket I can use if I fit a 32a plug on the flex.

According to the regs is OK to use the 32a supply, or should it be fused to 13a? as I can fit a new 1.5mm sq 3 core flex with a std 13a 3 pin UK plug.
What size in KW is the hot plate?
What size OCPD protecting the circuit you intend using?
How did you arrive at 3.3 mm2?
What do the instructions say about how to connect the hot plate?
If you to fuse it to 13 Amps you could always forgo the plag and connect the hop plate t o 13Amp FCU.

The KW rating is not given but the 230/240VAC @ 10.5v would be 2.5Kw thereabouts.
The 3.3 mm sq is printed on the flex, the outer cable diameter is about 20mm, hence not fitting into a 3 pin 13a plug.
Instructions just say connect the 3 cores L,N,&E to the corresponding wire colours.
Just need to know if a portable appliance which needs less than a 13a can be connected via a 32a single ph commando in the 18th regs? Obviously the RCD (30ma) will work but 32a trip is way above its rating.

Why not just go with what Tel said ^^^^ ? If the unit is rated @ 10.5A and single phase then why not just keep it simple either as Tel said or use a 13A-FCU?
(assuming changing the flex is possible)

and 12 awg will handle well over 32A, so the commando socket option on a 32A MCB is als viable.

No, there is a 32a single ph commando socket close by that I was intending to plug into. I need to have it plugged not hard wired so it will get PAT tested with the other bits of kit.
can't see any problems with that.

No, there is a 32a single ph commando socket close by that I was intending to plug into. I need to have it plugged not hard wired so it will get PAT tested with the other bits of kit.
Ok so this socket is (I assume) a radial circuit with just this socket on it?
can't see any problems with that.
You could always down rate the mcb to 16A at the CCU if you feel its border line?

The cable is OK for the load and OK for a 32A circuit. What we don't know is whether the manufacturers intend the appliance itself to be fused at 32A.

But this seems to be a storm in a teacup. The only problem is fitting the chunky American #12 cable into a 13A plug, not anything to do with ratings. That cable will fit OK into any decent 16A blue industrial plug, so why not put on one of those, and make or buy a 13A plug - 16A socket adaptor using 1.5mm² cable, so it can be used on any 13A point? I.e. use the 16A as an easy-to-fit inline connector to deal with the #12 cable.

Reply to 230/240vac 10.5a rated heat plate into Single Ph 32a commando socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock