Currently reading:
2391-20 cable calcs

Discuss 2391-20 cable calcs in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shambock

Hi

Anyone help with some cable calcs for my designe project, i must be missing something here.

Im trying to work out and show my calculations for cable sizing of a 32A ring

Length is 78 M

Number of 13A double sockets is 7

Ib is 32A
In is 32A RCBO
It should be In / Correction factors of wich i only have a grouping factor of 0.41
This makes it 32/0.41 = 78A

The above formula say that i should be using a cable capable of carrying 78A wich brings it upto 25mm ????????????? (ref meth B,singles) table 4D1A.

I know this is wrong but where am i mucking up.

Please help

Personally I would use Ib of 26A for a ring final circuit.

As for sizing cable, BS 7671 stipulates that it must have a current carrying capacity of at least 20 amperes.

YOUR NUMBERS sound ok, just checked the BRB. Perhaps I am wrong! Is this just a question to check for your understanding of the regs etc.. with maybe the next part 'ok, so this is obviously Unpractical, so how would you design the installation differently'?

OK Voltz hope you have better luck than me.

Length is 78 M run in trunking and conduit - ref meth B (probably singles)

Number of 13A double sockets is 7

Ib is 32A

In is 32A RCBO

It - should be In / Correction factors of wich i only have a grouping factor of 0.41 for 16 circuits in trunking

This makes it 32/0.41 = 78A

if i get rid of correction factor i can get away with a 4mm cable

Good luck

Luck ran out. I await words from the wise ones! I have personally run many, many time, circuits in 4"x4" trunking (ok maybe not up to 16, but maybe) in schools, hospitals etc..

Standard lighting and power in 2.5mm, 1.5mm, singles, and it has all been designed, inspected, and passed. There is something definitely amiss here. How on earth do you propose to terminate said conductors at accessories?

I too have followed the cable calculations protocol and come out with the same results. What do they design large capacity trunking for?

Lets hope we find out the answer. I feel a naked lady coming on!

I'm not sure what you are trying to do exactly but you will have to change the derating factor by choosing another installation method.

Are the circuits all 78m run together? Move the db or have an additional one nearer.

Ring circuit cable tabulated rating (It) formula

In BS7671 the rules are changed for the special case of the 30 and 32 A final ring circuit (Regulation 433.1.5), where overload protection requirements are amended allowing 20 A rated cables (Iz > or equal to 20 A) providing the load current in any part of the ring is unlikely to exceed 20 A.

Therefore Iz > or equal to 20 but Iz = It Ca Cg Ci Cc

Hence It > or equal to 20/(CaCgCiCc)

Example

A ring final circuit wired in thermoplastic (PVC) cable a sper Table 4D5 enclosed in conduit in an insulated wall and protected by a 32 A circuit breaker (In = 32 A); the cable rating must equal or exceed 20 A. The cable rating,

It > or equal to 20/(CaCgCiCc) if Ca = Cg = Ci = Cc = 1 then It > or equal to 20 A

From Table 4D5 (column 7) a 2.5mm cable is therefore adequate.

Last edited:
'54, how do you apply diversity to this situation (i take it that is what you are implying?) OSG states that diversity to socket outlets 10 A then 50% in domestic.

It's a confusing scenario, with not enough detail, granted

How then do I find myself pulling many meters of many circuits into sometimes 6" trunking on runs in schools etc..?

I take it that from your correction factor of 0.41, that you have 6 circuits in the trunking?
This is a RFC, which means that there are two conductors in parallel, the correction factor should be doubled.
Which would give you a conductor size of 6mm².

I take it that from your correction factor of 0.41, that you have 6 circuits in the trunking?

6 or 16??

OP, TBH if there is this large number i can't see how this can be calculated without at least some indication of what the expected load is and whether it will be evenly distributed - is this for some commercial or industrial premises? Is installing submains not an option? Is it 3 phase or single phase?
Why so many circuits?
If it is domectic premises table 7.1 in the OSG gives guidance on ring main length with various PDs.
:confused:

6 or 16??

OP, TBH if there is this large number i can't see how this can be calculated without at least some indication of what the expected load is and whether it will be evenly distributed - is this for some commercial or industrial premises? Is installing submains not an option? Is it 3 phase or single phase?
Why so many circuits?
If it is domectic premises table 7.1 in the OSG gives guidance on ring main length with various PDs.
:confused:

I am taking the area of the trunking where most circuits will meet ie right above the DB in question, i can get it down to 12 circuits but am unable due to cost run seperate circuits in seperate tubes thus removing correction factors all together.

The lighting and fixed power outlets eg 4.2KW dishwasher have been done and compleated by me but the ring is proving difficult due to the fact i have no idea what will be plugged in.

This might be of use to you - If your lighting circuits are operating at less than 30% of the capacity for their cables they can be ignored from the total number of circuits when working out the rating factor for grouping see note 9, P126 OSG or P268 of BS 7671.

Also if your cables are more than 2x their diameter, horizontally apart from others then their rating factor can be ignored. eg if you had 10 cables and you cable tie them in 2 groups to opposite sides of the trunking with sufficient space between them then they can be counted just as 5 circuits (see note 2) :)

Also if your cables are more than 2x their diameter, horizontally apart from others then their rating factor can be ignored. eg if you had 10 cables and you cable tie them in 2 groups to opposite sides of the trunking with sufficient space between them then they can be counted just as 5 circuits (see note 2) :)
Surely, If there's room to do this, then then leaving them loose would not warrant the 0.41 derating factor in the first place?

Reply to 2391-20 cable calcs in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock