Discuss 240v between neutral and earth?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gixxerdan

Just recently bought a house and been looking at the electrics making sure it is all right. The property has a conservatory on the back and a light which doesnt work. When I measured between live and neutral I got 0v so went back to the switch. Here i also got 0v. Went to measure between earth and neutral and got 240v! Any ideas? Could it be a neutral fault which has shorted or broke somewhere? The switch works but it switches the neutral and earth on and off! No breaker trips or anything though.

Thanks

if light doesnt work , broken neutral maybe.

polarity maybe. start from the start

In your earlier threads you have said you are training to become an electrician - and in which case can you expand on what tests you've done and where? The more information you give, the less we are guessing, and the more you get back.

The switch works but it switches the neutral and earth on and off!

Best if you expand on this statement or re phrase your findings

if the polarity is correct, then it means a break in the neutral between the no-working fitting and the CU. some older installations may have fused neutrals. need more info, and a coulpe of pics would help.

well if it goes in the switch, it probably is a switched L. don't you just love these posts with so little info to go on.

Reply to 240v between neutral and earth?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock