Discuss 3 phase colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I use grey as the neutral....but the chap i work with has always used black....lol..
we have ended up having to go over each others terminations in the past before we test owt....lol....
he uses grey now.....

I use grey as the neutral....but the chap i work with has always used black....lol..
we have ended up having to go over each others terminations in the past before we test owt....lol....
he uses grey now.....

I'd be interested in observing your discussion with Lord Cable on this topic at the forthcoming electrical event in Manchester.

i must say 44allan you seem in the minority for using black as neutral..........

someone should do a forum poll , i bet at least 70% use grey for neutral.
;-)

i must say 44allan you seem in the minority for using black as neutral..........

someone should do a forum poll , i bet al least 70% use grey for neutral.
;-)

Good call mate but I bet it's a majority of 'domestic' sparks your looking at and 'younger' guys(since the colour change) who can't remember red/yellow and blue as the 3 live/line colours and black as neutral?

edit
Or guys that have never worked on 3 phase even !

depends if i can get a word in....
i might even make a dash for the podium......
ask him where he`s getting 100 ohms from on a TT....

Just curl yer top lip at them mate, they'll be running for cover! :)
100ohms on TT?!?!?! That'll be far too technical for them, if I remember right from last year, they were just spouting answers to school boy questions. It was pathetic!

Good call mate but I bet it's a majority of 'domestic' sparks your looking at and 'younger' guys(since the colour change) who can't remember red/yellow and blue as the 3 live/line colours and black as neutral?

The younger guys I work with all (well, except the one in my example earlier!) mutter 'de-neutralisation of the black' as some mantra drummed in at college. I remember the changeover and there being huge debates on site ('site' at the time normally being some soggy field) about black becoming the new blue and blue being removed, yada yada, but all we used was 3ph singles so it didn't really matter!

It would be interesting to hear from some of the forums European members as to what their respective countries use by default - after all, we all changed together!!

Just curl yer top lip at them mate, they'll be running for cover! :)
100ohms on TT?!?!?! That'll be far too technical for them, if I remember right from last year, they were just spouting answers to school boy questions. It was pathetic!
listen, i went to the harrogate show last year and they had this massive stand that was just hulking and brute....
there it was domineering everything and everyone else....its crass....
and you could not get away from all the nonsense either....like `the importance of getting a Zs`....like eh?
so, you sets up a stand at a show for electricians....and you start lecturin about (R1 R2) and Zs....lolffs....lol..

listen, i went to the harrogate show last year and they had this massive stand that was just hulking and brute....
and you could not get away from all the nonsense either....like `the importance of getting a Zs`....like eh?
so, you sets up a stand at a show for electricians....and you start lecturin about (R1 R2) and Zs....lolffs....lol..

Eh..............no pi!s up and mince pies?
what a waste of time ffs?

Aye, last year in Manc, the nearby stand discussing surge protection (I think it was), infinitely more interesting than the scam's stall, there was just me and one other geezer listening.
Have these schemes got some kind of sublimable brain washing going on?!?!

Shame to see them on such hard times then for a charity.... I know first hand how much the exhibition industry costs!!!

It would be interesting to hear from some of the forums European members as to what their respective countries use by default - after all, we all changed together!!

Not exactly, they had been using the current colours (or should i say ''tones'') for a good amount of time before this so-called harmonisation. What the powers at be at the time didn't tell you, was that they also use other colours to identify switch lines on lighting circuits and the like, as well as various other conductors they want to identify!! And that colour is of they're choice too!!

It's only the UK that made fundamental changes to phase colours and neutral, and being British, actually stuck to them throughout an installation!! Personally i can't think why drab tonal colours were ever chosen for electrical core/phase identification, the old Red, Yellow, Blue phase colours couldn't be mistaken, even in bad lighting conditions, unlike the present Bk, Br, Gr. If anything, it should of been Europe adopting our bright phase colours, Yet another step backwards!! lol!!

depends if i can get a word in....
i might even make a dash for the podium......
ask him where he`s getting 100 ohms from on a TT....

I’m almost sorry I won’t be at Manchester. It’s nice to mingle with the peasant’s occasionally.

Back to the original subject, sorry neutral is black! I was introduced to the new colours long before most of you. For my sins, I worked for a French company. New panels delivered, you wouldn’t believe the ensuing chaos with old school electricians.

Reply to 3 phase colours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net