Discuss 8 Gang Grid Switch relacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
Hoping that someone can advise before we go ahead and instruct a qualified electrician to carry out this job.
We currently have a white plastic 8 Gang Grid Switch Panel in our kitchen but following some recent tiling would now like to change it for a similar fitting but in polished chrome.
I have added some photos of the existing grid panel both with cover on and off and also the type of fitting we would like to change it for.
Once the face panel is removed the 2 rows of 4 switches appear to sit on a metal panel which in turn are screwed to the back box, which appears to be quite a deep set fitting.
Can anyone advise if changing like for like in this case will cause any major issues?
The BG Bespoke 8 gang gridswitch panel is around ÂŁ50, so a fairly expensive outlay if it ends up being something isn't compatible.
Many thanks,

8 Gang Grid Switch relacement Existing 8 gang grid switch - EletriciansForums.net

8 Gang Grid Switch relacement IMG_20190805_162441 - EletriciansForums.net

8 Gang Grid Switch relacement IMG_20190805_162151 - EletriciansForums.net

8 Gang Grid Switch relacement s-l1600 - EletriciansForums.net

You would need to change the grid yokes (metal panels) to fit the BG modules.
Having fitted BG DP grid modules before, I'd probably advise you to choose another brand of better quality.

You would need to change the grid yokes (metal panels) to fit the BG modules.
Having fitted BG DP grid modules before, I'd probably advise you to choose another brand of better quality.
Hi Andy 78,
Firstly thanks for your time to replying to this thread.
Are there any particular makes you would recommend, ideally someone that manufactures a polished chrome panel, with either black or chrome coloured switches.
Many thanks in advance.

I'd look at finding a polished chrome panel to fit the existing grid yokes first before replacing the whole thing.
Winner, search for a manufacturers mark and google.

Hi Andy 78,
Firstly thanks for your time to replying to this thread.
Are there any particular makes you would recommend, ideally someone that manufactures a polished chrome panel, with either black or chrome coloured switches.
Many thanks in advance.
MK or Hamilton, fitted a few of both and they're pretty good for grid switches but truth is I dont really like them.

I really don't know why these switch panels are fitted, usually in new builds. They are so unnecessary and not required by any regs. I would be looking at getting rid of it myself.

The public like them...they look cool...ergo, you must have them...

Oh, did someone mention "new builds"?

I really don't know why these switch panels are fitted, usually in new builds. They are so unnecessary and not required by any regs. I would be looking at getting rid of it myself.

They are fitted to give a readily accessible means of isolating appliances.
We know they aren't required by regs, but there is nothing to say you can't fit additional isolation over and above the minimum standard required by the regs.

Isn't that a bit of a headache then wiring wise. They've just had the tilers in.

Yes, it could prove to be quite destructive to do the job of removing it properly.

They are fitted to give a readily accessible means of isolating appliances.
We know they aren't required by regs, but there is nothing to say you can't fit additional isolation over and above the minimum standard required by the regs.

I fit grid switches as standard whenever I'm doing a kitchen refurbishment. Worktop-level FCUs for each appliance is an absolute no-no as far as I'm concerned. So too are sockets wired direct from the board with no intermediate, easily-accessible means of isolation. My preferred brands are Hager or Schneider.

I fit grid switches as standard whenever I'm doing a kitchen refurbishment. Worktop-level FCUs for each appliance is an absolute no-no as far as I'm concerned. So too are sockets wired direct from the board with no intermediate, easily-accessible means of isolation. My preferred brands are Hager or Schneider.

Really? I would discuss it with the customer and fit whatever they prefer, telling them that they must have something which is not required by regulations isn't very fair.
Why not switched fused spurs? They are more reliable than grid switches and don't necessitate a lot of cables squeezed in a box.

Really? I would discuss it with the customer and fit whatever they prefer, telling them that they must have something which is not required by regulations isn't very fair.
I've yet to meet a customer who preferred FCUs over grid switches.

Why not switched fused spurs? They are more reliable than grid switches and don't necessitate a lot of cables squeezed in a box.
It all comes down to personal preference, and for a variety of reasons I prefer grid switches over FCUs every time. I've never had any issues with wiring space or the reliability of Hager or Schneider grid switches.

I've yet to meet a customer who preferred FCUs over grid switches.

It all comes down to personal preference, and for a variety of reasons I prefer grid switches over FCUs every time. I've never had any issues with wiring space or the reliability of Hager or Schneider grid switches.

It still sounds like you are only giving them choice of sfcu or grid switch, not letting them.choose if they want neither.

It still sounds like you are only giving them choice of sfcu or grid switch, not letting them.choose if they want neither.
surely the OP is the customer. it's stated "in our kitchen". he's asking for advice on what to get before he gets a spark to do it.

Reply to 8 Gang Grid Switch relacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock