Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

read post above, not 1 Accident reported, ive got to admit i hate the bloody thinks but with no accidents and preventing children plugging in potential dangerous items i can see a need for them.
Firstly, please remember that socket fires which follow the use of a cover with oversized pins will never appear in statistics as having been caused by the use of a socket covers, because, by definition, the socket cover will not be present when the fire occurs!

Secondly, the problem with the idea that plug-in covers prevent children plugging in potential dangerous items, as we have shown, plug-in covers are often easy for children to remove.

Clippasafe claim on their website that covers “will prevent children from plugging in electrical items such as heaters and hair straighteners”. But, the Clippasafe type, also sold under the Boots and John Lewis brands, is“easily removed from the socket by inserting the plug you need to use” (Clippasafe’s own description of their product) so the suggestion that it can prevent children plugging in a dangerous device is clearly absolute nonsense!

To act as prevention against the use of dangerous appliances, plug-in socket covers would need to meet the following criteria:

• [*=left]Covers would need to be very difficult to remove by children possessing the skills to insert a plug. There are no such plug-in covers on the market.

[*=left]Covers would need to be demonstrably safe and not compromise the safety features of BS 1363 sockets. There are no such plug-in covers on the market.

[*=left]Covers would need to made to the correct dimensions of a BS 1363 plug, to ensure that they did not cause damage to sockets. There are no such plug-in covers on the market.

[*=left]If covers meeting the above criteria were available then, to be effective, they would need to be used in every socket which was within reach of a child. This includes those sockets which would normally have plugs inserted into them, as clearly the plug of another appliance is not difficult for the child to remove.
    [*=left]
A recent study by The Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow looked at severe burns caused by children handling hair straighteners. The statistics revealed that, in the majority of cases, the burns were caused by appliances which had already been turned off and left to cool, not as a result of children plugging them in!

This is a comment posted on a baby discussion forum in December 2010: “Dainton (17 months) has learnt how to get socket covers off: he then goes in the kitchen pulls my iron out the cupboard and plugs it in!!!!! Thank god I caught him! Lil monkey”

The big problem with suggesting that socket covers have a role to play in preventing children from being harmed by dangerous appliances is that it detracts from the only sensible message: Parents and carers should ensure that ALL dangerous appliances are kept beyond the reach of children.

The bottom line is:

Safety is designed into UK sockets - plug in covers reduce safety!

How can i Post this on facebook please, have many friends with kids who do not believe me about this.

- - - Updated - - -

How can i Post this on facebook please, have many friends with kids who do not believe me about this.

hi, i've not read all the threads on here but i've read the info on the link. i had real trouble convincing the wife about this, even after showing her the link. its so ingrained in peoples mindes that they are safe. however as i don the trousers i forbade her to use them:smilewinkgrin:.

i digress, her indoors is a comunity midwife, on her visits to variouse doc surgeries/clinics she noticed they have these in stock and actually hand them out to new parents.

so i sent an email with the link to the practice managers who have forwarded it to NHS managers

Very interesting, thanks. I like others didn't pay much attention to them partly because I had the obviously mistaken belief that anything sold as a safety device in this country had to undergo stringent checks to ensure that it does indeed provide additional safety. How can whoever tests these items have missed such a glaringly dangerous issue as the upside down one?

I've seen this mentioned before and advised clients that I have seen using them of the dangers by showing them what is possible. Great to see Fatally Flawed as a member and I have now posted the details via a link on my facebook account.

Kind Regards

1SC

This was on Daybreak this morning and did mention socket covers but didn't explain the inherent dangers of them...
They basically bashed on about RCD protection AND if you haven't RCD protection get upgraded.
I fear this may lead to all the rouge traders crawling out of the woodwork and putting the fear of god into parents and the like, updating the board and doing one.
Parents warned about dangers of electrical sockets - ITV News
Shame as it could of been a good opportunity for FF and the shameful attempt of trying to flog a £10 plug in RCD unit was just wrong, quite misleading to some as they might assume it does the same job as the RCD on the board..
There are 2 video's but the day break one is the one to watch...

Its definitely worth getting as many articles written and out there as possible every extra site that is talking about it it potentially a huge number aware of the dangers

my name is Bade

could anyone please tell me, what is the life span of electrical cables? thanks

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for your help in advance

am new in this site<i want to know if i discuss business on this forum thank you

i mean do guys know about DSTV distributions?

hi mates, do you about digital satellite television distributions?
Mate, if you want to spam can you at least do it on something a little less important than this. Or did you not bother to readwhat the point of this is

Did a domestic test the other day, lady had 8 faulty double sockets (very high readings) and had already replaced 1 due to burning, on house only rewired in 2001, you can guess what the culprits were! Worse still she worked in a nursery she said if the inspectors (Ia ssume offstead) come in they expect to see them in every socket.

Forgot to add they were crabtree sockets, not craplex

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net