Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

was looking at a relatives house where there was a child and i explained to them about this fatally flawed campaign, yet they insisted they were more protective. they then told me to try and take them off and it really did take a load of force to pull it out, much more then a child would be able to do anyways.

If they take more force to remove than that exerted to remove a normal plug top then what damage are they doing to the socket these things are quite prone to breaking and leaving pins in the socket and IMO the tighter they are the more likely this is to happen leaving the socket in a dangerous condition

I assume by cam shutters you are referring to the sockets that had the twisting shutters on the L & N if so they were that good that a HTM was issued highlighting safety issues with them and they were banned from health authority sites in favour of Crabtree, the issue being that you could insert a 2 pin plug and for that matter a 3 pin plug with a missing or broken earth pin or a continental shuko type plug. Hence why MK returned to the original shutter type
That is a very interesting snippet about MK. The draft of the next revision of BS 1363 includes a clause to ensure that it will be impossible to insert a two pin plug. To be fair to MK, the Logic Plus range uses a three pin shutter opening method where the earth pin insertion unlocks the mechanism to allow simultaneous insertion of the other two pins, quite different from the original method.

Thanks UNG. Useful information. As you all know I’ve never really done domestic so this is the first I’ve heard about the modifications the MK shutter system. By the sounds of it we’re going to have to be safe crackers to defeat a socket.

View attachment 12761

Thanks UNG. Useful information. As you all know I’ve never really done domestic so this is the first I’ve heard about the modifications the MK shutter system. By the sounds of it we’re going to have to be safe crackers to defeat a socket.

Tony now there's a thought a combination code operated switch to turn the socket on how safe would that be

Here's a thought, for all parents and childminders, how bout keeping an eye on your kids?? Or maybe just teaching them that sticking their fingers in a socket is a nno no? , I'm 35 yrs old, the eldest of 4 children and not once did we ever have these things in the house, and not once have I or my siblings ever thought about sticking a finger in a socket!!

Here's a thought, for all parents and childminders, how bout keeping an eye on your kids?? Or maybe just teaching them that sticking their fingers in a socket is a nno no? , I'm 35 yrs old, the eldest of 4 children and not once did we ever have these things in the house, and not once have I or my siblings ever thought about sticking a finger in a socket!!

some kids do tho...its easy to say keep an eye on your kids,but you cant stalk their every move..

Im going to add a link on my site this week, has any one made a facebook page for this campaign yet?
Social media can be a great tool for spreading the word now days and gaining supporters.

Have forwarded link to my OH who works in a general practice surgery, they have now removed all these covers and passed on info to other surgeries in the area.

Thank you Jase! I actually heard the original broadcast by Peter Day on BBC, but I must have misheard because I thought he was describing a situation where the Chinese hotel was fitted with both Chinese sockets (similar to Australian) and BS 1363. Now you have drawn our attention to this article I am horrified as what is shown is a wall mounted version of the truly horrible and dangerous "universal adaptor" made by a number of Chinese companies, and usually marked "For Export Only". You can see several examples on FatallyFlawed's sister website at Adaptors They usually come without any form of shutter, but some have rather ineffectual shutters which can usually be opened by simply pushing on either shutter, so they do not actually prevent foreign bodies being inserted. Another characterstic of this universal sockets is that because you can put so many differently shaped and oriented pins into them, no pin is actually held securely and the contact is always bad.

In any case, there is no way that the socket shown will meet BS 1363, and they are therefore completely illegal in the UK. I noted above (#145) that the draft of the next revision of BS 1363 includes a clause to ensure that it will be impossible to insert a two pin plug, that provision would mean that any such universal socket would be illegal.

The BBC web page includes a quote from an IET representative, but that gentleman was unaware that his quote would be used in conjunction with a picture of such an obviously dangerous socket.

Has any1 else had problems with jib gradeing have all requirtements 4 approved gradeing n been niceic qual suoervisor yet carnt get graded because a training contract from jtl is missing

Cant believe how dangerous the "safety" covers are!!!
Had them fitted all round our house when our 2.5 yr old was younger - we wont be using them again tho!!!
Quite disturbing really!

I agree with the suggestion of leaflets to give out to people.

Our daughter bought some when the grandson started crawling. She wasn't impressed when I went round her flat taking them all out, until I explained things of course

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net