Discuss Add wall lights to existing lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I would like to add two wall lights in my living room, currently I only have a ceiling light. The house is a new build and only 3 years old.

A diagram of the existing lighting circuit is shown below:

Lighting1.png

Would it be acceptable to change the 1-Gang switch to a 3-Gang switch and wire as follows:

Lighting2.png

or:

Lighting3.png

Schematically I would be going from this:

Lighting4.png

To this:

Lighting5.png

On your new 3 gang switch you have shown that you are taking the feed to L1 of switches 2 and 3. I would normally expect this to go to COM and your switch lives to go from L1.
The way it is currently shown in your diagram means the switch will operate 'upside down' but otherwise it's ok.

Thanks both, I am thinking I will have to fit cables in the wall as shown in the picture. To go through the ceiling I might have to lift carpet and floor boards in the room above (or make holes in the floor boards). Trouble is, the floorboards are large pieces of chipboard :(

Lighting6.png

One thing I don't understand, is that there are 4 blue wires going into LOOP and 4 brown wires going into L2, so there is another T&E cable going somewhere (highlighted by orange rectangle)...

Lighting7.png

See how there are 4 blues wires going into LOOP...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6b23.jpg

And 4 brown wires going into L2...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6981.jpg

Thanks both, I am thinking I will have to fit cables in the wall as shown in the picture. To go through the ceiling I might have to lift carpet and floor boards in the room above (or make holes in the floor boards). Trouble is, the floorboards are large pieces of chipboard :(

View attachment 46846
Would I be better off going through the ceiling plaster board? I'm not sure which way the studdings run in the ceiling and I assume there will be noggins between the studdings ?

View attachment 46846
might be a better idea to cut and patch the ceiling.

The other T&E will be looping to the next room, probably should have been looped from the outside light switch point.

You'll have too many Browns and Blues to go into the switch, you'll need to put them (or some of) into a Wago connector (or similar) and loop back into the switch.

With large chipboard floors, I typically cut one or more 100mm dia holes with a rebate, then fit a steel access cover plate when finished.

For example, see:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/super-rod-cavity-master-kit/85585

A quinetic solution still needs mains power to the lights, so I would still have to fit the same cables in the wall. These solutions are never truley wireless (just like so called ‘wireless’ speakers) because the device still needs power

A quinetic solution still needs mains power to the lights, so I would still have to fit the same cables in the wall. These solutions are never truley wireless (just like so called ‘wireless’ speakers) because the device still needs power
just out of interest, what programme did you use for your diagrams?

Hi FF - nice diagrams :) .
Apologies in advance, but does this lighting circuit have an RCD?
Thanks Wilko, Power Point is not the best tool for the job but it works.

I have used free tools provided by RS in the past to design PCBs and also 3D modelling. The tools are called 'Design Spark PCB' and 'Design Spark Mechanical'. There is another tool available called 'Design Spark Electrical', I've never used it but it might be useful for electrical schematics ?

Electrical Software - https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electrical-software

Under the stairs there is a Consumer Unit fitted with RCDs and there is an RCD for downstairs lighting.

I agree, the lights need power!
However, not having to raggle/chase for the switches does save a lot of time and redecoration.
The power would come from the light switch, unless I can take a spur from a mains socket in the room above but that means the wall lights would be on the upstairs ring main instead of a lighting circuit. Would this be acceptable or bad practice ?

Absolutely shocking practice! But...take a supply from where you can, feed it into a FCU, annotate the CU clearly, and get on with life...and leave an extra wee note in the light fittings too.

Lead hat on!

Reply to Add wall lights to existing lighting circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net