Discuss Advice , changing immersion hearted switch to digital timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Conchur

Hi guys me and my partner have recently moved into a new property that us an immersion heater switch for warm water , problem is one of us always forgets to turn it off and it just burns through the electricity so therefore I bought a digital timer so it can be set when to come on and go off so we save money ,

I turned electric off at mains and took the immersion switch off and it has 3 live red wires going into switch and an earth screwed to the metal housing , now the digital timer I bought has connections for 1. Neutral 2.live from mains and 3.live output to appliance 4. Not used, as it says .

Bought from screwdix king shield socket box timer 7 day electronic , any ideas how I fit this together as I'm not to sure and any advice greatly appreciated , the immersion seitch currentlynfitted has a layout of com L1 , L1 , l2

Thanks very much guys not sure if I can upload pictures with being a new member but if required I can no problem , cheers again

Why have you attempted to fit and meddle with something that you are clearly not qualified to do so. I can change a washer in a tap but you don't see me fitting a gas fire.

If I were you I would get a Qualified Electrician in to do this work, shouldn't cost much, you don't sound confident enough to do this work.

I can't afford an electrician at present that's why I was trying to do it myself , I trust myself to do it have all the right tools just not 100% sure about the wiring didn't expect there to be 3 live wires ?

please check you insurance !
Advice , changing immersion hearted switch to digital timer {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Your new digital time switch will need a Neutral connection to work, without that then you can't use it.
As has been said above, you really need to get an Electrician to sort this out.

water heaters also should have double pole isolation so unless your timeclock is double pole which normally they aren't then I'd leave the double pole switch in then come off that to a timer feeding the immersion

Thanks for replies I have no problem fitting it I know the neutral goes in number one and lives go in two and three , i know there's a 4th connection but it says not used , my problem is I have a 3rd live left over with nowhere to go so I put that in number four or is the timer not sufficient for my requirements thanks

Advice , changing immersion hearted switch to digital timer image - EletriciansForums.net

That is a picture of the current switch , just want to make sure the airings right the advice is greatly appreciated thanks

Advice , changing immersion hearted switch to digital timer image - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks for replies I have no problem fitting it I know the neutral goes in number one and lives go in two and three , i know there's a 4th connection but it says not used , my problem is I have a 3rd live left over with nowhere to go so I put that in number four or is the timer not sufficient for my requirements thanks

View attachment 37021
What size in KWs is the heater?

It is for the immersion heater it's what heats are water I've been using it since we have moved it but want something so I can put t on a timer rather than a switch?

Reply to Advice , changing immersion hearted switch to digital timer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock