Discuss Advice needed on doing some private work. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jibspark

Hi All!

I need some advice,

ive just qualified as a spark and i would like to start doing some private work. The thing is i work for a large company that only does industrial work, so as you can imagine i dont do any domestic work.

So thats my first concern, being faced with an installation that i have no clue on time scale etc.

Is it worth me contacting letting agents for some work aswell as putting an advert in the local paper?

The other thing is the legalities of it all, ive had a quote for personal liability insurance, but what else should i think about? what about tax etc? do i need to contact the inland revenue? I dont plan on going self employed, i just want to do some private work outside of my main job.

I dont plan on doing anything that comes under the part p umbrella (so just minor works).

If anyone could give some general advice on this it would be great!!!

working foryourself aint as easy as it sounds. yes the tax man would have to be informed as you will need to invoice the customer. if its only going to be minor jobs then a time scale is not really that important. personal and public liability insurance is what you need, make sure it covers you and the customer. i have insurnace which covers me for 5million........just in case lol. of course you needent worry aboput all of that if you make your jobs cash in hand, can be risky but if you and the customer and fine with that go ahead, whos going to know. advertise where you can, its always worth signing up to letting agents but without being part p i dont think its worth it. best form of advertising is word of mouth, thats how i get most my work, im self employed. let as many people know as you can that your a spark and im sure you will be fine.

Sadly you will be very limited in what you can actually do in a domestic property now without getting the building officer involved.
Replacing faceplates/light fittings adding a spur ect. Anything more requires Minor works certification or new circuits require Elec inst cert and need to be inspected by building control at the start and finish.
Like to help more but that's the way it is. :(
Col.

thats fair enough, i didnt think building control needed to be involved with any minor works.

ive downloaded the part p book and it outlines what you can do without part p. at the moment i dont want to do any large major jobs, just the odd thing here and there, like you say just replacing fittings, extending circuits etc. maybe in the future i might do some periodics too.

thanks for the advice mate. :)

Check and see if you're companys Nic/Eca/Napit membership includes domestic. If so i'm sure one of you're mates will do any certification you need.

thats fair enough, i didnt think building control needed to be involved with any minor works.

They dont for:
  1. Replacing any fixed electrical equipment (sockets/control switches/lighting)so long as it doesnt include any new fixed cabling (that includes in special locations) (MWC used)
  2. Replacing the circuit cable of a single circuit only , where damaged. (MWC used)
  3. Re-fixing or replacing of enclosures of existing installation components. (MWC used)
  4. Providing mechanical protection for existing installation.
  5. Installing or upgrading main or supplimentary equip bonding
Work not in a special location or special installation :
  1. Addition of lighting fittings & switches to existing circuit (MWC used)
  2. Addition of sockets & fused spurs to existing circuit (MWC used)
  3. Communication cabling (IT / BT etc)
So LBC do not need to be notified if you are undertaking most minor works :).
Any other work would involve notification to local building control or an EIC anyway

Reply to Advice needed on doing some private work. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock