Discuss Advice on cost for swapping C.U. old for new please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, i have been quoted £455 for removing existing C.U. (no RCD) and replacing with a new one with 2 RCD's (toolstation have them for £78)

there are 9 circuits in all, it seems a bit steep to me, but perhaps i am out of touch. it is easy to access.

i would appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

it's about right considering the work involved. not just the installation, but testing of all circuits, earthing and bonding,a couple of minor fault rectifications may be included. completing installation certificate.a full day's work. whereabouts in the UK are you, as prices vary according to location.

Hi, i have been quoted £455 for removing existing C.U. (no RCD) and replacing with a new one with 2 RCD's (toolstation have them for £78)

there are 9 circuits in all, it seems a bit steep to me, but perhaps i am out of touch. it is easy to access.

Thanks.

That sounds like a fair price, but if you shop around you can probably find a cowboy to do it for a bit less, just don't touch any of the metalwork after they've finished!

Thanks.

Hi

Just consider you are not just paying for the cost of materials and time, you are paying for someones knowledge, the time and cost spent at college learning, the constant cost of updating this knowledge to the latest regulations including mandatory ownership of current regulation guidance notes, the purchase of test equipment,calibration of test equipment purchase of torque drivers to ensure the cheap consumer unit you mention is fitted according to manufacturer instructions, public liabilities insurance, cost of suitable tools, van insurance, van road tax, diesel for van to get to your hose, the time spent doing the job, the time afterwards filling in paperwork, tax on the money you actually pay the person, notifying the local authority and most importantly your peace of mind in knowing the job is done properly and will not cause a fire, that the installation is to regulations and will not electrocute you or your family.

When you take all the overheads and tax away it is about right, some customers seem to think that as self employed you don't pay any tax and all of that money goes straight in your pocket, it doesn't! £450 seems about right to me.

Hi

Just consider you are not just paying for the cost of materials and time, you are paying for someones knowledge, the time and cost spent at college learning, the constant cost of updating this knowledge to the latest regulations including mandatory ownership of current regulation guidance notes, the purchase of test equipment,calibration of test equipment purchase of torque drivers to ensure the cheap consumer unit you mention is fitted according to manufacturer instructions, public liabilities insurance, cost of suitable tools, van insurance, van road tax, diesel for van to get to your hose, the time spent doing the job, the time afterwards filling in paperwork, tax on the money you actually pay the person, notifying the local authority and most importantly your peace of mind in knowing the job is done properly and will not cause a fire, that the installation is to regulations and will not electrocute you or your family.

When you take all the overheads and tax away it is about right, some customers seem to think that as self employed you don't pay any tax and all of that money goes straight in your pocket, it doesn't! £450 seems about right to me.

Wot do ya reckon he'll do it for, for cash :eek:

Hi

All true of course, that is if the bloke doing the CU swap has all the things you mention.

Thanks all so much for your quick responses. I live in East Essex.
Looks like the consensus is that it is about right, so i will go with him, i just thought i would ask your opinions, the first guy i phoned never turned up so i don't have much choice. lol.

and your electrician should arrive wearing a steel suit of armour. otherwise he could spontaneously combust if his joints are loose. :p

Reply to Advice on cost for swapping C.U. old for new please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock