Discuss Any Reviews On The Metrel MI3101 ?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hi sid do you like the auto test function ?
talking to the niceic man he said that you might test in a different order to the meter is this right ? and if so do you get used to the meters way of testing?
does it fill out the complete form (name ,address etc) ?
would you say its quicker than your old mftester ?
so many questions
thanks
john

hi sid do you like the auto test function ?
talking to the niceic man he said that you might test in a different order to the meter is this right ? and if so do you get used to the meters way of testing?
does it fill out the complete form (name ,address etc) ?
would you say its quicker than your old mftester ?
so many questions
thanks
john

The auto test sequence can be set up to test in any order you like, you can set "pre set tests" in what order you wish. So if your testing procedure is slightly different on domestic to commercial for example you could title one sequence of tests as "DOMESTIC" and the other "COMERCIAL", press start and let it run.. or you could have 5 different sets of testing sequences for just domestic (if there are some tests that are not needed).

So far i am manualy selecting the tests i want to do, and not useing the auto sequence just yet.. I will be setting up my auto tests soon though, im still breaking my tester in..

Im still learning more about my tester, but it didn’t take me long (couple of days) to become familiar with it.

The firmware so far doesn’t allow me to enter the customers name and address, just all the different test names and results including visuals.

It is definitely a big improvement from my old MFT. As said in metrels adverts, the rest can only follow..

I still have things to learn myself about the tester. As new things are discovered i will update on here

Im Confused on the "Z Line" Setting.. ive thought this was just for Zs testing.. or am i wrong?

I Have it set to "Z Loop" to do Ze, PEFC & PSCC. My results seem to be as expected.. or are my settings wrong?

What exactly is "Z line" as its not on other MFT's ?
Z Line – Live/Neutral
Z Loop – Live/CPC
Sid, I've been using this tester for a year. Never let me down although I did abuse it a bit.
The newest firmware is 2.96 that came out last Friday.
I can also praise Metrel customer service. The Fluke one is basically non existent.

Cheers Simopesh.

Yes metrel customer service is very good, they've been very helpfull.
So you would use Z-Line for PSCC, anything else?
Have you got the latest firmware then? did they send it to you? I got sent the latest firmware by metrel and they sent me 2.91. Strange..

Cheers Simopesh.

Yes metrel customer service is very good, they've been very helpfull.
So you would use Z-Line for PSCC, anything else?
Have you got the latest firmware then? did they send it to you? I got sent the latest firmware by metrel and they sent me 2.91. Strange..
Yes, Z line – PSCC and Z loop – PFC!

Also, when I started testing the Zs was curious that the value of it was a bit lower compared to my Fluke 1653. After many days of brain bashing I realized that it is measuring the pure value of the Zs. When I added the value of the Ze the measurement was exactly the same as with my Fluke.

It is not strange Sid because they only got it last Friday.
By the way, did you manage to change firmware through the USB port rather then the serial?
Funny enough I do not have a serial port on my PC – too modern being told.

there is an automatic insulation resistance test that does tests between all conductors automatical switching between them when you have all your croc clips on the corrasponding conductor... when on this setting it shows up as >30.0 across all if there are no faults...

Would this raise any eyebrows by anyone who was to look at this in the future... if i wrote >30.0 in all boxes on my test results sheet..

I know its very common to put >200 on results for IR tests, My meter when done manualy across conductors shows >1000...

But if i did the Auto setting would there be any problems with putting >30.0

Hi TPES,

yesterday I have bought "Metrel MI3101 PRO KIT EurotestAT"
, with EuroLink PRO Plus software with ability to print certificates , and I would like ask a few question to the mates who using this device and software.

1. do I have to every time before testing, build "structures" of the installation with this software and upload it to the device? how you doing this?

2. to test this software, I have created small "structure" with one distr. board, and uploaded to the device, did several
tests, and uploaded back to the software, and WHY in this
software in File>Create Pro Plus Report or File>Reviev Pro Plus Report, both options are grey (not active), why? I have sent email to the Metrel, they asked me for the device serial number and password from CD software cover to check what version of this software they sold me, and yes, I have got Pro Plus version 5.13. I am still talking with them by email why I have these options greyed, on CD was one demo file with test results, I have no problem with editing or printing this certificates. During registration application told me that password was added successfully.
Tomorrow I will continue conversation with this guy from Metrel.

Any ideas TPES what is wrong?

Regards, Peter.

you need the unlock key from metrel which will unlock to pro plus. At the moment you just have demo of pro plus. Where did you purchase the tester and was it the pro version you purchased or the standard?

You can build structures direct from the 3101 by going to main menu, miscellaneous, memory, recall memory. Once here holding down the right arrow for 2 seconds opens a new location. Rename locations by pressing f1.

Hope this helps.Any problems let me know.

Mark

there is an automatic insulation resistance test that does tests between all conductors automatical switching between them when you have all your croc clips on the corrasponding conductor... when on this setting it shows up as >30.0 across all if there are no faults...

Would this raise any eyebrows by anyone who was to look at this in the future... if i wrote >30.0 in all boxes on my test results sheet..

I know its very common to put >200 on results for IR tests, My meter when done manualy across conductors shows >1000...

But if i did the Auto setting would there be any problems with putting >30.0

There is no problem with >30 on all lines, why should there be?

There is no problem with >30 on all lines, why should there be?

My thinking was if the meter shows >30 on the automatic tests then this is noted on the cert in relevant boxes how would you compare any real deterioration across the IR results on future PIR's to the current....

You could measure out >1000 between all conductors, then a year later for what ever reason the result drop right down to say 40 meg, but if the tester only shows greater than 30 meg you would never know how quickly the insulation was deteriorating... If you get what I'm saying... And is this still acceptable ?

My thinking was if the meter shows >30 on the automatic tests then this is noted on the cert in relevant boxes how would you compare any real deterioration across the IR results on future PIR's to the current....

You could measure out >1000 between all conductors, then a year later for what ever reason the result drop right down to say 40 meg, but if the tester only shows greater than 30 meg you would never know how quickly the insulation was deteriorating... If you get what I'm saying... And is this still acceptable ?

IMO - If the test a year later is still showing >30 there is no problem, in fact you can get down to 2 mohms before you need to worry.

IMO - If the test a year later is still showing >30 there is no problem, in fact you can get down to 2 mohms before you need to worry.

Yes I know all this, just concerned you would never know how quickly the install was deteriorating and could then put the next inspection date down wrongly thinking the install was sound

I would not worry too much TPES, at >30 you have some play. Like Murdoch pointed out if you going below 2, then worry :)... The result is just saying 'hey look we are greater than 30 Mohms' it might well be well above 1000 plus, but the instruments seems to only put out greater than 30 with All insulation... :) If you are that worried, don't do the All, just do singular tests... I babble alot, so read the bits you need and ignore the rest.. It's Sunday lol :)

One great feature of this model is the ability to connect the 3 connectors, push the test button and the tester steps around all the necessary IR tests.

With readings over 30 why complicate matters by doing individual tests to get higher readings?

For what its worth I use the individual tests when I encounter "unusual" readings.

I would not worry too much TPES, at >30 you have some play. Like Murdoch pointed out if you going below 2, then worry :)... The result is just saying 'hey look we are greater than 30 Mohms' it might well be well above 1000 plus, but the instruments seems to only put out greater than 30 with All insulation... :) If you are that worried, don't do the All, just do singular tests... I babble alot, so read the bits you need and ignore the rest.. It's Sunday lol :)

Do you use the 3101 then MKS?

I do, TPES.... I have a megger too, but since buying the Metrel I can't put it down... It is like owning a PS for the first time... Nxt shop is a 3 wire tip commander which will help facilitate testing... :) The easi switch that came with it is a god send :)

Hi TPES, As you have now had the Mi3101 for some time, have you experienced any problems, or is it still your favourite toy? Is the Pro software worth the extra dollars over the standard software?

I am jumping in here Robert. Sorry... I have both the Metrel and the new Megger 1730, used the Megger once, always use the Metrel, far better in my opinion... As for the software, I would honestly save your money, it is not worth the extra outlay in my humble opinion... :)

Reply to Any Reviews On The Metrel MI3101 ?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock