Discuss Anyone have American electric questions? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Everyone on this forum has been great in answering all my 17th ed questions,
pls lmk if u have any NEC [American electric] questions, I will be happy to answer:)

What electrical testing is required, on a newly completed domestic installation according to your NEC code requirements??

it depends on the inspector, most common is a ground rod test with a 3 pin tester, and test with a "megger" [mega-ohm meter] phase to phase,
phase to neutral, and phase to ground and neutral to ground for feeders only, not for the branch circuits. and voltage test everything. none of this is required by NEC. here our work is inspected by 3 different agencies who apply rules which are sometimes above and beyond the NEC, which is their right
as the AJD [authority having jurisdiction].

That's exactly as i know it, not much in the way of testing at all!!!
To say minimal i guess would be a bit of an understatement when compared with the requirements to your European counterparts accross the pond...

As far as i can remember... in households, they are only required for outdoor receptacles and bathroom receptacles, i could be wrong there, but not too far out!!! They certainly don't make use of RCD devices as we do in Europe. Tripping value is 6mA, and mainly incorporated in the receptacle outlets, although some circuits will be supplied by RCBO type breakers in the enormous DB panels....

As far as i can remember... in households, they are only required for outdoor receptacles and bathroom receptacles, i could be wrong there, but not too far out!!! They certainly don't make use of RCD devices as we do in Europe. Tripping value is 6mA, and mainly incorporated in the receptacle outlets, although some circuits will be supplied by RCBO type breakers in the enormous DB panels....
the trip setting on our gfci outlets is 5mA designed to be below the lethal shock level. Us Yanks dont see the advantage of a trip level of 30 or 300mA which would allow a lethal shock without tripping.
The new thing here is AFCI [arc fault circuit interrupters] designed to prevent fires due to sparking.
BTW, im from California, but have been working in the Mid East for 3 years where im learning 17th ed. The difficultest part is the terminology is different for every little thing.

That's funny, ...every US GFI breaker or GFI receptacle i've come across, and that a considerable amount, have always been clearly marked for 6mA!!!

Haha... we have a range of RCD devices, some come in an S type version, (time delayed) 10mA, 30mA, 100mA, 300mA, 500mA
We in Europe tend to protect complete circuits with RCDs, whereas accross the pond there, you tend to protect a load/appliance via a RCD receptacle, or a GFI breaker circuit with a specific single load. Imagine the level of nuisance tripping on for argument's sake, a receptacle circuit with an RCD breaker trip level of just 6mA!! lol!!

Also we ensure that installations are limited to having a maximum touch voltage of 50 volts, so that they are not lethal. ...lol!!! The easiest way of explaining that to you, is maximum values of ground rod protected systems linked to RCD devices. (As the states use a hell of a lot of TT systems ''Ground rod grounding'') So U =RI, say R=50v/0.3A (300mA) =167 ohm Max, ....or R=50v/0.1A (100mA) =500 ohms Max. I'll let you do the calc for a 30mA RCD...lol!!

Hope that makes some sense to you, as i'm not concentrating to well, ... i'm doing other things at the same time here at the moment...lol!!!

yes, we mostly use what you call TT systems. think about this: A= v/ohms. for 120v and maximum allowable ground of 25 ohms, 5 amps flow and the 20 amp breaker wont trip.
But the 5 or 6 mA gfci will, so lethal shock is prevented. in a British system, 30mA RCD, you would be dead.

Is an Electrician considered a decent tradesmen job in the USA, from what I heard the construction industry over there is very badly paid, or have I been told porkies?

Yes, an electrician was a decent tradesman job in the States. But now with the global depression, our salary is only 50-60%
what it used to be, and thats if you can get work. Unemployment is sky high, especially in construction. I get an email from ppl I used to work with saying "Im not working and I dont know anyone who is." Which explains why I work in the mid-east, there is no work in the States. Hopefully, when normal economic times return, electricians will go back to getting decent wages like we always used to :)

yes, we mostly use what you call TT systems. think about this: A= v/ohms. for 120v and maximum allowable ground of 25 ohms, 5 amps flow and the 20 amp breaker wont trip.
But the 5 or 6 mA gfci will, so lethal shock is prevented. in a British system, 30mA RCD, you would be dead.

Really ??? we were taught that 50mA is the lethal limit (granted it will vary depending on the person)

How's it goin lads,don't use this forum much,this is my first thread.Gona start using it much more now.Anyway,Im a spark from N.I looking for work in either Afghan or USA.I was told that a British certified electrician would not be recognised in USA,and that I would have to apply for an apprentice journeyman's state licence,taking up another 4 years! Is this true?
This info was given to me by a fellow user on Flour corp's logcap forum,who is himself a (USA) journeyman working in Afghanistan.I found it hard to believe,I expected an update course of some discription.
Any opinions or info would be appreciated.cheers lads

licensing in the states is in control of each individual state, and each states sets its own rules. you just have to check with the state u want 2 go to. btw, theres lots of UK electricians working in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Your 17th ed license is the only thing u need in
British bases, Afghan Army or Police bases, etc.
How's it goin lads,don't use this forum much,this is my first thread.Gona start using it much more now.Anyway,Im a spark from N.I looking for work in either Afghan or USA.I was told that a British certified electrician would not be recognised in USA,and that I would have to apply for an apprentice journeyman's state licence,taking up another 4 years! Is this true?
This info was given to me by a fellow user on Flour corp's logcap forum,who is himself a (USA) journeyman working in Afghanistan.I found it hard to believe,I expected an update course of some discription.
Any opinions or info would be appreciated.cheers lads

Where do you keep getting this ''lethal'' shock thing from?? 30 mA is the threshold of heart fibrillation!!! It's not just the UK that use this level in RCD device (GFI) protection, the whole of Europe uses it too, along with most of the Middle and Far East. Coming back to the UK/Europe for a moment, we also have very stringent disconnection times for different levels of leakage current that may pass through an RCD, that all RCD devices MUST meet.

If you were even partly correct in your idea of ''30 mA and your dead'' theory, we could be talking about millions of casualties, ....but alas as your so wrong, there isn't and never has been!!! Maybe talking to a UK or European electrician where your working in the Middle East can explain more about our RCD regulations along with the 50 volt touch voltage limitations many of our circuits must also comply too...

Your NEC doesn't call for, or state a ''maximum'' rod Ra of 25 ohms. It notes a stated recommended value, and if that value cannot be obtained with a single rod then another rod must be provided. Your not even required to test the second rod, or the combined value, as according to the NEC, providing the second rod fulfills obligations...

Your NEC doesn't call for, or state a ''maximum'' rod Ra of 25 ohms. It notes a stated recommended value, and if that value cannot be obtained with a single rod then another rod must be provided. Your not even required to test the second rod, or the combined value, as according to the NEC, providing the second rod fulfills obligations...
Correct! Which is why the customer many times calls for ground rings in their installations. The NEC sets minimum standards only.
Our inspectors [my installs are inspected by 3 organizations] set their own spec over and above the NEC minimums. Engineer54, thx for your posts, I always learn from them :)

Reply to Anyone have American electric questions? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock